Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 50 posts ] 

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Quote:
Are your batteries snug, and battery contacts well attached?

yes

Quote:
The firmware is designed to improve battery life by reducing battery draw while asleep

If E640's remained plugged into the wall and therefore sleeping with one eye open, as compared to being unplugged, does this keep the CC from going into a deep sleep?

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Site Admin

J_ph wrote:
If E640's remained plugged into the wall and therefore sleeping with one eye open, as compared to being unplugged, does this keep the CC from going into a deep sleep?

No. My thoughts are there is a component level problem in that CC, or you had one or two bad cells installed at the time. This can happen with new batteries, even premium branded batteries. I presume they are alkaline batteries?

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:31 pm

the batteries were brand new and alkalines. The same batteries I was using with the v40 firmware and the same battery life as v50.

I noticed the disco light discussion about low battery effects of the CST. I assume that is the same effect that I saw with the CC. The discussion mentioned that newer CSTs aren't effected. Is this still an issue with CCs. The low battery warning came on after the "popping" problem.

I'll try a different battery brand and see how it does.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Site Admin

J_ph wrote:
I noticed the disco light discussion about low battery effects of the CST. I assume that is the same effect that I saw with the CC. The discussion mentioned that newer CSTs aren't effected. Is this still an issue with CCs. The low battery warning came on after the "popping" problem.

The flashing may or may not be related to low batteries of the CC. The root cause of the flash could be what caused the low battery or vice versa.

The firing issue of the CST and that of the CC my be both triggered by a low battery, but are not identical problems.

How have the new set of batteries held up?

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:09 pm

so far, new batteries are working no wonky misfires yet.

What type of battery life are you getting with the new firmware?

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:23 am

Site Admin

With default screen brightness, you should get ~8hrs of screen-on time. Remember, the screen does not have to be on for the CC to trigger. If you set the brightness higher, the battery life will be shorter.

Also, this assumes a premium set of batteries, and not unbranded gas station relics.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks for all the help from PCB this year while I was getting acclimated to the new gear.

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for the New Year!

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:19 pm

I am not having any luck bringing my CyberCommanders (2) from V40 to v50 either:

- I formatted the 2gb card SanDisk cards that came with my CC's in Windows [format J: /FS:FAT]
- I copied the "PCBUFF" folder from the download/extract to the root of each card
- I removed the batteries from my CC's
- I inserted the SD card and inserted brand new alkaline batteries
- the V40 boot screen comes up, then cycles through a series of flashes for several minutes
- the CC UI screen eventually comes up
- I removed the SD card
- I rebooted the CC, and the boot screen still shows V40

And - upon inspecting the contents of the SD card after the firmware attempt - there are 269 folders named "CCMDR" in the PCBUFF folder.

I also tried the same process - with the only change being formatting the SD card with the built-in CC SD card utility.

Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:11 pm

craig16229 wrote:
I am not having any luck bringing my CyberCommanders (2) from V40 to v50 either:

- I formatted the 2gb card SanDisk cards that came with my CC's in Windows [format J: /FS:FAT]
- I copied the "PCBUFF" folder from the download/extract to the root of each card
- I removed the batteries from my CC's
- I inserted the SD card and inserted brand new alkaline batteries
- the V40 boot screen comes up, then cycles through a series of flashes for several minutes
- the CC UI screen eventually comes up
- I removed the SD card
- I rebooted the CC, and the boot screen still shows V40

And - upon inspecting the contents of the SD card after the firmware attempt - there are 269 folders named "CCMDR" in the PCBUFF folder.

I also tried the same process - with the only change being formatting the SD card with the built-in CC SD card utility.

Craíg

Thank you to David in tech support who spent a good deal of time documenting the details of my issue. I'll update this post once the cause and resolution is found.

Wishing everyone at Paul C. Buff a Safe and Happy New Year,

Craíg

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:44 am

Technical Support wrote:
Also, this assumes a premium set of batteries

well.... both of my CC's seem to be getting 1 month of battery life with v50 firmware.

With CC's that you have at PCB are you getting a longer timeframe?

I can deal with new batteries each month, but if everyone is getting better performance I'm just wondering if there is something else going on.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 50 posts ]