Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login | Register

Post a reply
 [ 50 posts ] 

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Site Admin
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:43 am
Posts: 5242

That is tough to answer that simply. Are you leaving the CC to sit with batteries in for a month, or are you regularly using it? What are your screen time out and brightness settings?



_________________
TS
info@paulcbuff.com
1-800-443-5542
https://www.facebook.com/paulcbuffinc
https://instagram.com/paulcbuffinc
https://www.youtube.com/c/paulcbuffinc
https://twitter.com/paulcbuffinc


Top Top
Profile
 

#

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:22 pm
Posts: 50

The backlight is set @ 20% and timeout is 10 seconds.

Yes, I do leave batteries in the CC, and it's not used everyday.

Anybody else have real world experience with battery life?

thanks again,




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:15 am

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 pm
Posts: 3

Quick question, I placed the order with PCB on the 14/ Nov 2013.

In that case, would the Cyber commanders have been updated already, or do i need to do it myself ?




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:56 am

Site Admin
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:43 am
Posts: 5242

HitenNainaney wrote:
Quick question, I placed the order with PCB on the 14/ Nov 2013.

In that case, would the Cyber commanders have been updated already, or do i need to do it myself ?


Anything shipped on or after the 14th would have the new firmware. If you are unsure, you can remove a battery and re-install it. The firmware will flash at the bottom of the screen.



_________________
TS
info@paulcbuff.com
1-800-443-5542
https://www.facebook.com/paulcbuffinc
https://instagram.com/paulcbuffinc
https://www.youtube.com/c/paulcbuffinc
https://twitter.com/paulcbuffinc


Top Top
Profile
 

#

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:25 pm

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 am
Posts: 98
Location: Chicagoland, USA

craig16229 wrote:
I am not having any luck bringing my CyberCommanders (2) from V40 to v50 either:

- I formatted the 2gb card SanDisk cards that came with my CC's in Windows [format J: /FS:FAT]
- I copied the "PCBUFF" folder from the download/extract to the root of each card
- I removed the batteries from my CC's
- I inserted the SD card and inserted brand new alkaline batteries
- the V40 boot screen comes up, then cycles through a series of flashes for several minutes
- the CC UI screen eventually comes up
- I removed the SD card
- I rebooted the CC, and the boot screen still shows V40

And - upon inspecting the contents of the SD card after the firmware attempt - there are 269 folders named "CCMDR" in the PCBUFF folder.

I also tried the same process - with the only change being formatting the SD card with the built-in CC SD card utility.


Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



Ok, so I got my PC Buff provided/prepared micro SD firmware update card, and it worked perfectly and easily on my primary and backup CyberCommanders. Happy.

So, I take that same card provided by PCB (that JUST worked with the CC's) and put the PCBuff folder with the e640 v50 firmware update onto the root, and no luck. Frustration.

I put the card in my e640's, plug each of them in, and almost nothing happens. Each Einstein makes a brief "whirring" noise, but the display screen remains black and no firmware update occurs.

Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



_________________
https://www.craigwasselphotoart.com


Top Top
Profile
 
Website
 

#

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 am
Posts: 98
Location: Chicagoland, USA

craig16229 wrote:
craig16229 wrote:
I am not having any luck bringing my CyberCommanders (2) from V40 to v50 either:

- I formatted the 2gb card SanDisk cards that came with my CC's in Windows [format J: /FS:FAT]
- I copied the "PCBUFF" folder from the download/extract to the root of each card
- I removed the batteries from my CC's
- I inserted the SD card and inserted brand new alkaline batteries
- the V40 boot screen comes up, then cycles through a series of flashes for several minutes
- the CC UI screen eventually comes up
- I removed the SD card
- I rebooted the CC, and the boot screen still shows V40

And - upon inspecting the contents of the SD card after the firmware attempt - there are 269 folders named "CCMDR" in the PCBUFF folder.

I also tried the same process - with the only change being formatting the SD card with the built-in CC SD card utility.


Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



Ok, so I got my PC Buff provided/prepared micro SD firmware update card, and it worked perfectly and easily on my primary and backup CyberCommanders. Happy.

So, I take that same card provided by PCB (that JUST worked with the CC's) and put the PCBuff folder with the e640 v50 firmware update onto the root, and no luck. Frustration.

I put the card in my e640's, plug each of them in, and almost nothing happens. Each Einstein makes a brief "whirring" noise, but the display screen remains black and no firmware update occurs.

Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



Tech support - thanks for your voicemail today. I'll give you a call tomorrow and I know you will help me get this resolved.

Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



_________________
https://www.craigwasselphotoart.com


Top Top
Profile
 
Website
 

#

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 am
Posts: 98
Location: Chicagoland, USA

craig16229 wrote:
craig16229 wrote:
craig16229 wrote:
I am not having any luck bringing my CyberCommanders (2) from V40 to v50 either:

- I formatted the 2gb card SanDisk cards that came with my CC's in Windows [format J: /FS:FAT]
- I copied the "PCBUFF" folder from the download/extract to the root of each card
- I removed the batteries from my CC's
- I inserted the SD card and inserted brand new alkaline batteries
- the V40 boot screen comes up, then cycles through a series of flashes for several minutes
- the CC UI screen eventually comes up
- I removed the SD card
- I rebooted the CC, and the boot screen still shows V40

And - upon inspecting the contents of the SD card after the firmware attempt - there are 269 folders named "CCMDR" in the PCBUFF folder.

I also tried the same process - with the only change being formatting the SD card with the built-in CC SD card utility.


Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



Ok, so I got my PC Buff provided/prepared micro SD firmware update card, and it worked perfectly and easily on my primary and backup CyberCommanders. Happy.

So, I take that same card provided by PCB (that JUST worked with the CC's) and put the PCBuff folder with the e640 v50 firmware update onto the root, and no luck. Frustration.

I put the card in my e640's, plug each of them in, and almost nothing happens. Each Einstein makes a brief "whirring" noise, but the display screen remains black and no firmware update occurs.

Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



Tech support - thanks for your voicemail today. I'll give you a call tomorrow and I know you will help me get this resolved.

Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com


Thank you to everyone at PCB for a quick turn-around on the firmware issue with one of Einsteins. It reached them on 01/17, and the unit just arrived back to me today, 01/28.

I had a second Einstein to load firmware version 50 on, and I am going to make a new post over in the "Einstein firmware version 50" thread that might help others who had the same problem I had. To summarize, I don't think there was any problem with my Einstein or the card I was using.


Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



_________________
https://www.craigwasselphotoart.com


Top Top
Profile
 
Website
 

#

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:55 am

Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 am
Posts: 2

Quote:
Thank you to everyone at PCB for a quick turn-around on the firmware issue with one of Einsteins. It reached them on 01/17, and the unit just arrived back to me today, 01/28.

I had a second Einstein to load firmware version 50 on, and I am going to make a new post over in the "Einstein firmware version 50" thread that might help others who had the same problem I had. To summarize, I don't think there was any problem with my Einstein or the card I was using.


Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



I'm new here and am having the exact same problem with one of my Einstein's. Partitioned/formatted a 2gb sd card six ways to sunday, every attempt i just get the whirring fan noise with no screen activity. Did you post a resolution on the Einstein firmware version 50 thread? Do you have a link to that post or thread?

Thanks for your help,
Mike




Top Top
Profile
 

#

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 am
Posts: 98
Location: Chicagoland, USA

ithacker wrote:
Quote:
Thank you to everyone at PCB for a quick turn-around on the firmware issue with one of Einsteins. It reached them on 01/17, and the unit just arrived back to me today, 01/28.

I had a second Einstein to load firmware version 50 on, and I am going to make a new post over in the "Einstein firmware version 50" thread that might help others who had the same problem I had. To summarize, I don't think there was any problem with my Einstein or the card I was using.


Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



I'm new here and am having the exact same problem with one of my Einstein's. Partitioned/formatted a 2gb sd card six ways to sunday, every attempt i just get the whirring fan noise with no screen activity. Did you post a resolution on the Einstein firmware version 50 thread? Do you have a link to that post or thread?

Thanks for your help,
Mike


Hi, ithacker

Welcome to the community :-)

Here is a copy-and-paste of what I posted in the Einstein firmware thread; I hope it works for you:

Quote:
I hope this might help anyone who has the same problem updating their firmware. I'm going to go in reverse here, first describing what ultimately worked for me and then describing the symptom/problem.

- Instead of using WinZip or WinRAR to extract the .zip download, I simply used native Windows Explorer

- Instead of copying and pasting an extracted "PCBUFF" folder to the SD card, I dragged and dropped the "PCBUFF" folder I saw (after letting Windows Explorer open the zip as described above) onto the SD card.

I don't know which of the two made the difference or if both did, but the firmware upgrade on my next Einstein went quickly and smootly and exactly as described.

What was happening before when I was using WinRAR or WinZip and copying the "PCBUFF" folder to the SD card? I would insert the card into my Einstein, plug the power in, there would be a very quiet and brief "whirr" of power from the unit, and then nothing.

Before having success on my own as I described above, I ended up sending my first Einstein in thinking just maybe there was something wrong with it. The unit came back with a note that the tech loaded the firmware successfully from both his own card AND mine. That suggested pretty strongly there had to be something I was doing differently, and led me to extracting differently and putting the "PCBUFF" firmware upgrade folder onto the SD card differently.

Thank you to the PCB staff for their usual great customer service and for the quick turn around (9 days, door-to-door), and I hope the above information proves helpful to someone.



Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



_________________
https://www.craigwasselphotoart.com


Top Top
Profile
 
Website
 

#

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 am
Posts: 2

craig16229 wrote:
ithacker wrote:
Quote:
Thank you to everyone at PCB for a quick turn-around on the firmware issue with one of Einsteins. It reached them on 01/17, and the unit just arrived back to me today, 01/28.

I had a second Einstein to load firmware version 50 on, and I am going to make a new post over in the "Einstein firmware version 50" thread that might help others who had the same problem I had. To summarize, I don't think there was any problem with my Einstein or the card I was using.


Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com



I'm new here and am having the exact same problem with one of my Einstein's. Partitioned/formatted a 2gb sd card six ways to sunday, every attempt i just get the whirring fan noise with no screen activity. Did you post a resolution on the Einstein firmware version 50 thread? Do you have a link to that post or thread?

Thanks for your help,
Mike


Hi, ithacker

Welcome to the community :-)

Here is a copy-and-paste of what I posted in the Einstein firmware thread; I hope it works for you:

Quote:
I hope this might help anyone who has the same problem updating their firmware. I'm going to go in reverse here, first describing what ultimately worked for me and then describing the symptom/problem.

- Instead of using WinZip or WinRAR to extract the .zip download, I simply used native Windows Explorer

- Instead of copying and pasting an extracted "PCBUFF" folder to the SD card, I dragged and dropped the "PCBUFF" folder I saw (after letting Windows Explorer open the zip as described above) onto the SD card.

I don't know which of the two made the difference or if both did, but the firmware upgrade on my next Einstein went quickly and smootly and exactly as described.

What was happening before when I was using WinRAR or WinZip and copying the "PCBUFF" folder to the SD card? I would insert the card into my Einstein, plug the power in, there would be a very quiet and brief "whirr" of power from the unit, and then nothing.

Before having success on my own as I described above, I ended up sending my first Einstein in thinking just maybe there was something wrong with it. The unit came back with a note that the tech loaded the firmware successfully from both his own card AND mine. That suggested pretty strongly there had to be something I was doing differently, and led me to extracting differently and putting the "PCBUFF" firmware upgrade folder onto the SD card differently.

Thank you to the PCB staff for their usual great customer service and for the quick turn around (9 days, door-to-door), and I hope the above information proves helpful to someone.



Craíg

http://www.craigwasselphotoart.com


Thanks Craig,
I did find that and tried it. However it didnt work in my case. Since I'm a mac user, i used my Microsoft Surface to format(tried quick, long, new partition) the 2gb sandisk card; downloaded, extracted and dragged and dropped the directory onto the card. I ensured that the format was Fat(default) and not Fat32 or exfat.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike




Top Top
Profile
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a reply
 [ 50 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Search for:
Jump to:  
cron