Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 37 posts ] 

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Ok, the line is present when it 1st boots up, and continues throughout operation. It goes across, horizontally, right through the light bulb on the display. I did update one of the others, and it did not reproduce the line. Please tell me how I can get rid of the line, or a way to re-flash with the older rom, without the line.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Site Admin

The older firmware cannot be reloaded, and likely would not correct the problem anyway. If you would like to re-flash the current firmware, I can send you a file that will allow you to do that. Do not re-flash the firmware with the currently available file, now that it has been loaded once. I would doubt this would help, but there would be no harm in trying. If you have not tried power cycling the light (i.e. removing the power cord), you can try that as well.

I suspect there is a fault in the screen, which would need to come in, but you can try the above listed steps first.

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Technical Support wrote:
The older firmware cannot be reloaded, and likely would not correct the problem anyway. If you would like to re-flash the current firmware, I can send you a file that will allow you to do that. Do not re-flash the firmware with the currently available file, now that it has been loaded once. I would doubt this would help, but there would be no harm in trying. If you have not tried power cycling the light (i.e. removing the power cord), you can try that as well.

I suspect there is a fault in the screen, which would need to come in, but you can try the above listed steps first.

Yes I'd like to try that (re-flash with the file you send me). I have cycled it on and off, even left it unplugged for several days, still there. I don't leave them plugged in.
Thanks,
--Rick

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:56 am

Any chance of forwarding me a link to that file, or emailing it to me?

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:56 pm

Site Admin

I can forward you a file on Tuesday, when we reopen.

Or, you can alter the current file yourself, by doing the following:

open the Einstein firmware folder and navigate to the FIRMWARE folder.

Delete the 0173-RBR.hex and 0173-R07.hex.

Copy the 0173-R50.hex

Back out of the FIRMWARE folder and enter the LOAD folder

Paste the 0173-R50.hex into this folder

Delete the 0173-RBR.hex file, if present.

Close this file and move this modified PCBUFF folder to the SD card and follow the normal firmware instructions.

There should only be one PCBUFF folder on the card, which contains only the Einstein folder.

If you are not comfortable doing this, then by all means let me send the file to you on Tuesday, as this is not keeping the light from normal operation.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:32 am

Standown47 wrote:
After a few tries, I figured it out but, it took multiple tries attempting the same update. I formatted the Micro SD Card and reloaded the Firmware update. I then turned on the Einstein and inserted the SD Card and went to the Diagnostics, selected Bootload and low and behold it worked. Attempting the same procedure on the other Einstein lead to failure until I re-copied the Firmware update to the SD Card. I then tried 3 times to update the unit, the 4th time worked. Hopefully the upgrade will make future upgrades easier. All six Einsteins on Ver 50 Firmware and working perfectly.

So I had the exact same issue. My Einstein with a newer firmware went smoothly, but my Einstein with older firmware would just stay blank and the fan would undulate.

What worked was turning on the Einstein, then inserting the SD card, and then going into Bootload.

Everything seems fine now. If tech support can chime in on doing it this way didn't harm anything.

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Site Admin

Going into bootload would have been the route we would have taken you if you had called. So no harm was done.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 37 posts ]