Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:44 pm

Is it normal for the CC to have a high pitched squeaking sound when it's on and you put it near your ear? I'm trying to nail down the reason behind one of my CC's going through 2 sets of batteries despite only being used on one shoot. I tried using them on 2 other shoots but I pulled it out and it wouldn't turn on, despite putting in brand new batteries a week before and not using it since then. After swapping in a new set of AAA's, it's fine now, but it's just one more thing for me to worry about and have to keep spares on hand at all times, which I'd obviously prefer to avoid.

My VB2 (6-ish months old) also emits a high pitch squeal when you turn it on to fast or slow or when you plug it in. The squeal from plugging in goes away after a few hours. I've owned 4 different VB2's and this is the first that's done that. I already sent it in and they said they swapped out the inverter, but it still squeals. Do all the latest inverters do that now?

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:07 pm

Site Admin

this is the first time i have heard of a CC squealing, what is the s/n of that unit?

as for the VII, yes, the later model inverters will have an electric squeal when under load (either charging or powering). As the charge tops off, the sound should go away.

TS

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:20 pm

It's 001408. The rest of my info is in my profile. I got a replacement on the first CC I bought because the battery terminals had cold solder joints and were popping out.

I had a hunch that it involved the LCD somehow, and I was right. When I set the backlight % above about 30, the squeaking stops. I held it up to my ear and held the button up and down and it's definitely that. So for now I'll keep it above 40% backlight, and hopefully that'll make a difference.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 am

Site Admin

Ok, that is certainly abnormal and should be corrected. Please contact Customer Service to make arrangements.

TS
1-800-443-5542
info@paulcbuff.com

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]