Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ] 

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:15 pm

I am having a horrible time gettign the speedring for the 30" moon unit on the ABR800. Both are brand new.

I've even tried to put just the speedring on with out the reflective cloth, just to see how it should go on. What am I doing wrong cause I tried for 40 mins and gave up.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:50 am

i guees moon unit is for use the ring flash , not for the ab800

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:38 am

Yes it is, the Ring flash has a similar model number, notice above that the model light is an ABR800

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:40 am

Site Admin

First, be sure the Speedring is oriented in the proper direction. The flange where the rods go should be toward the back of the unit, while the inner support part should face the front of the lights. Additionally, it may be easier to mount the speedring by itself first to get used to how it mounts. Once you familiarize yourself, remove it, assemble the Moon Unit, and reinstall.

If it does not go on by itself, there was a poster who said he found a bit of extra plastic that he shaved off to make clearance. You may take a look at that as well. If you cannot get it on, please contact our Customer Service Dept for replacement.

TS
info@paulcbuff.com
1-800-443-5542

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:49 am

Technical Support wrote:
If it does not go on by itself, there was a poster who said he found a bit of extra plastic that he shaved off to make clearance.

That was it

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:57 am

was just going to point you to that post. also, make 100% sure you put a method in place so the "vertical adjustment level" or "lever of death" cannot release the unit to the floor. In a pinch, I put a wire-tie over the post so the furthest it can slide is to that tie.

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Site Admin

The vertical adjustment lever is a cam tensioner. The hightest point of tension is when the knob of the lever is pointed to 12 o'clock. You may find suficient tension outside of this position, and if so, thats fine, but 12 o'clock is the strongest point.

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Technical Support wrote:
The vertical adjustment lever is a cam tensioner. The hightest point of tension is when the knob of the lever is pointed to 12 o'clock. You may find suficient tension outside of this position, and if so, thats fine, but 12 o'clock is the strongest point.

TS

Correct, but I can't get that cam lever all that way to that point without feeling like it will snap off. so, I end up with a tension that seems tight enough, but if you hit that lever at all, then Woooooosh! the thing is headed to the floor. The Cam is upside down really. If you make it so that "upwards" movement of the lever is required for release, then gravity would have prevent this issue.

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Site Admin

poisonberry wrote:
Technical Support wrote:

TS

Correct, but I can't get that cam lever all that way to that point without feeling like it will snap off. so, I end up with a tension that seems tight enough, but if you hit that lever at all, then Woooooosh! the thing is headed to the floor. The Cam is upside down really. If you make it so that "upwards" movement of the lever is required for release, then gravity would have prevent this issue.

The cam rotates in both directions. Additionally, the cam in your unit is metal reinforced, and we have yet to see one of those break.

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:15 pm

Ok, i went and torqued on the thing and with great effort I was able to get it to the "noon" position. It was a challenge to get there and also to remove it from this lock, but I feel much more confident in this lever now. I was never willing to force it very far to get it to lock confidently as I assumed it was just plastic and would not tolerate this much force. Thanks a ton!

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ]