Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 14 posts ] 

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:04 am

will leaving it for a night or two at 50 or 75% start the sulfating process or will it be alright till I can get it plugged in. Also below and above what temperatures start to dramatically reduce battery life only for shot periods of time though.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:50 am

Don't worry about a night or two at partial charge. Don't even worry about a week or two every now and then. Damage is a cumulative thing, and as I mentioned, straying from the rules now and then because of need is not a bad thing all by itself. What is more important is how you treat your batteries over their entire service life.

I'm an Amateur Radio operator, and I been involved in many portable operations that depended upon battery power over the years. Sometimes camping, sometimes an annual national radio "Field Day" event, and even a few genuine weather disasters where batteries were all important for communication purposes. A few days of brutal discharge/charge cycling, and two weeks idle at partial charge, or even dead flat will not kill a battery if that condition is the exception, rather than the norm over it's working life.

At very cold temps, batteries tend to lose apparent capacity. They just don't deliver as much power before going flat as they do in nice weather. At high temps (95 degrees F and up), they become difficult in every way, as that chemical lab is now running at a fever pitch. Charging becomes a more delicate matter, as does storing a battery at less than full charge. Overcharging can cook a hot battery fast, while storing it flat can lead to high speed sulphation, compared to cooler temps. Even drawing high current loads from a hot battery can take it's toll on the life of the battery, but again, don't go crazy trying to pamper a battery to the point that it has no practical value to you anymore.

Be good to it as a rule, but make it work hard for you when you need it. Considering the amount of energy they make available to you over a few years of working life, they are really pretty cheap in the long run. At $50 a pop, you can't beat it. Even if your needs mean that it will only last 2 years, as opposed to a perfect life of 4.5 years, they are still an incredible value.

My intention is just to explain how to best care for your battery, and what is likely to happen if you don't comply. On the other hand, a battery is a "consumable" item in every sense. No amount of TLC will make a battery (of this type) last for much beyond 5 years. You will replace your battery at some point. Your needs might be hell for a battery, and mean that it will only last for 2 years, but if that type of service is what you require, the battery still provided great value. Being kind to your battery when it isn't on the job is a good habit for you that can help extend it's useful life to the maximum possible for your needs.

Again, adopt good battery care habits, but don't be afraid to lean on your battery hard when you need it to perform.

Voyager

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:27 am

Site Admin

Well said, Voyager! Thanks.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Thank you helps a lot

Top Top

Post a reply