Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ] 

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:10 pm

I do not think it is unique to power users or unusual setups.

I have had it happen to me and I was simply using an ABR and one AB (as a slave).

However, I still anxiously await the Einstein but suspect Alex is not far off on his estimation of when they will be available.

Russell

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Voyager13b wrote:
Here are links to two quick pics of the new 8.5" reflector with the new 11"LT reflector, and the old style 7" reflector together. Top view, and bottom view. The new 8.5" is only 1/4" deeper than the 7", but has a full bowl shape, and a completely different interior texture. I really like the way the new 8.5" reflector works.

Very nice. I'd bet a lot of the "higher efficiency" of the 8.5" reflector is from the parabolic shape instead of the conical shape of the old 7" reflector...would be nice if we had a parabolic 7" reflector at some point as well since it seems to be an industry standard size...

Does the 8.5" fit in the standard AB carrying bag?

Last edited by kenyee on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Well Coney Island is a bit over photographed. But there are some interesting abandoned parks in the neighborhood. I will go there soon, so guys if any one from NYC, I can show you some interesting places.

PS Alex Korosev, where in Russia are you from? I am from Kiev....

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Site Admin

Kenyee,
Yes the 8.5" reflector does fit, but barely. It takes some finagling to get out of the bag.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Hello,

just wanted to say that I really appreciate that you guys are taking testing and bug fixing your new product seriously and if it takes another month, so be it. I have Alienbee units to work with, waiting another month doesn't affect my work. What does affect my work is having to deal with a product that doesn't work properly.

Right now I'm dealing with a Chinese company that threw their product (wireless TTL triggers) on the market way too early and they haven't even tested their product with the current camera models! I'm getting the third set of units right now and so far none of them work properly. It takes up to 10 days to get a response from their CS.

In other words, thanks Paul for doing things the right way! Take your time, I appreciate all the extra effort and testing and making sure we get a great product.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:38 pm

bareimage wrote:
Well Coney Island is a bit over photographed. But there are some interesting abandoned parks in the neighborhood. I will go there soon, so guys if any one from NYC, I can show you some interesting places.

PS Alex Karasev, where in Russia are you from? I am from Kiev....

Looking outside right now makes me want to go in Spring (not far off anymore) on a warm and sunny Sunday. I appreciate that Coney Island is a mature subject but there are always new angles and opportunities. And having a guide like yourself would of course be a privilege.

I was born in St. Petersburg (Leningrad at the time) but only lived there my toddler years and my high school and college years. As I was growing up my family moved wherever my dad's military career took him, which included the Baltics (near and in Riga, Latvia) as well as the extreme North of Russia (Kola peninsula, north of Murmansk). My father was an officer of the Strategic Missile Forces. In Murmansk he was commanding a quad of silos (the big U.S. and Soviet missiles flew on the meridian over the North Pole rather than on the parallels like the planes travel - it's a shorter way, plus the poles' ionic noise complicates some ways of detection).

Indeed it is not a great stretch of imagination that that H-bomb Voyager is referring to, could have been sent on its way by my dad. In reality by the time he got to command the big stuff, the bulky fusion warheads were abandoned by both sides in favor of packing as many as 12 compact and individually guided fission based reentry vehicles atop each missile, targeting the respective enemy's command and control infrastructure and VIP hides. The H-bombs targeting metropolitan areas were used by both sides to hold up the "Assured" part in mutually assured destruction, as such remaining the most hypothetical kind of these hypothetical weapons. Still, I was peeved when I saw the U.S. "duck and cover" films - such a cop out. We had proper shelters, FWIW.

Dad's long since retired now, but old habits die hard - to this day when he calls an elevator, pressing the red button with his thumb, very evenly and with a slight twist, sends slight chills down my spine. Completely unwarranted, of course - launch was actually committed by two keys at two stations (spaced wider than a conceivable reach of a person). I must say it was really interesting growing up beyond the polar circle as a pre-schooler in a number of ways.

It was then that I drew my first spaceship - forgetting the oxidizer, as my father had promptly pointed out. Years later I've entered Военмех (Baltic State Technical University) - same school as Sergei Krikalyov - of course I wanted to be a cosmonaut like so many other Russian boys! But economic reality interfered - Buran's amazing flight was to be the swan song of the big Soviet space program as we knew it. Indeed some point out that Krikalyov, having as of this writing logged an astonishing 803 days in space, was technically the last Soviet citizen, as he was in space when Soviet Union ceased to exist at ground level. When it became clear there wasn't a great future in sight for the Russian space program, I had transferred to a computer / robotics field at St. Petersburg Politech. Courtesy of my Aunt who'd lived in New York, we shortly thereafter moved here, and I've completed my studies at Brooklyn Polytech (now part of NYU). Similarities between the schools went beyond the names - they've given me some impromptu tests and basically transferred all my credits except Marxism-Leninism.

After that was a job at Goldman Sachs (IT), all 13 years of it. I won't call it a career as I've failed to make a meaningful rate of advance. Still, they paid fairly well and there weren't any truly dumb or incompetent people I ever had to face there, so I'd stayed on, picking up photography as an outlet for unconstrained creative growth that my job had denied. On the advice of my tax accountant I had picked up some paid gigs here and there so as to write off the cost of my equipment (via the S-corp.) They did not run me out of this town in tar and feathers so I've kept doing it on a very part-time bases. Fast forward to early 2009 - the banking sector implodes and they fire my ass along with many of my friends and colleagues. I did not mourn my job - folks who had stayed had to pick up my duties and others, and even before the reductions many folks were stressing over the workload. I'd reconnected with many old friends, then expanded my photography activities to full-time, which is where you find me today.

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Alex.K.NY wrote:

My plan so far is to get the 2 Einsteins I have signed up for, together with CC and some modifiers and additional triggers, and really put the system through its paces this Summer. I think it's a good plan, except I fear that if I run into the stability issues with either CC or Einsteins and have to return the lot, I might not want to go back to my older lights and relying on flashes, and would end up spending 2.5x on a roughly equivalent Elinchrom system. Still, I have confidence in Paul, primarily because he is taking his time and what he says about old school sounds good to me. But I also would like to see concrete results, in the form of a CyberCommander firmware released SOON that fixes the issues reported thus far. Also would like to see a debug mode on this stuff to assist with telemetry gathering to improve the troubleshooting and fixing cycle.

Alex,

I use my CC unit extensively, and the only issue I have had is the funky strobe effect that pops up upon lighting setup once in a while. It's not a showstopper by any means, and it happens so infrequently as to be more of a curiosity than anything else. I have come to rely on the CC so much that it has taken over most all flash exposure measuring duties from my Sekonic L-758DR meter.

In fact, the Sekonic now primarily lives in my medium format accessory field kit, rather than with my studio gear. I use it for it's reflected spotmeter & computing power that allow me to perfectly nail down exposures for complex scenes, or when I need to accurately calculate mixed daylight/strobe lighting outdoors when I lug Mamiya or Bronica film gear in the field. It saves wasting lots of expensive film on bracketing, and I go home knowing exactly what I will get when processing is completed.

The CC issues brought up here are certainly valid, and absolutely help the people at PCB to zero in to the right areas as they sort out the firmware, but I suspect that the large majority of CC users are not running into issues that cause them concern. Every Canon DSLR I purchased since the 20D has had it's firmware updated to crush various bugs at least once. Few, if any of those bugs affected me at all, and even those who experienced problems were still able to work around them until Canon delivered the fix.

I look at the CC in the same manner. To date, it has reliably provided me with far more value than the small sum of cash I parted with to get it. I know there are gremlins hiding inside the case, but I also know that they do not suggest poor construction, or a likelyhood that the thing will go belly up on me in the middle of the shoot. When the firmware update is released (it will be), and after those who are eager to test the update on their CC :) give a thumbs up, I'll install it on mine. Meanwhile, I do not hesitate recommending the CC as a great value buy TODAY. You will love it...

I'm putting together a YouTube video that homes in on the fantastic practical features of the CC in real world terms, and will show how easy it is to integrate it with stuff people already own, like Speedlites and Pocket Wizards. It'll be my first attempt at such a thing, but after watching so many other people do it, I'm certain that it will either be informative, or a great laugh :). Either works fine for me...

Voyager

Top Top

#

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:41 pm

Alex,

Regarding your last post, thanks for the very interesting story. I started in the IT world at IBM in the very late 70's, and experienced a few economic twists and turns that made me look elsewhere for a time along the way. Aside from a few consulting gigs that I retain to this day, I bailed out for a change that would allow me more time for things like photography that still inspired the same of level passion in me today as 30 years ago back in 2001.

As I suspected, you have a solid technical foundation, and as a child of a parent in the strategic military services, you had the benefit of growing up with a far better understanding of the "nuts and bolts" of the nuclear backdrop to the cold war era than most. Then again, IT people usually do have interesting backgrounds...

Perhaps the few of us here on the forum who live in the NYC area can work out "meet and shoot" this spring. I'll propose getting together at Paterson Great Falls along the Passaic river. Paterson is highly unlikely to come to mind as a place to photograph nice things for most folks, but the "Great Falls" are truly spectacular. In fact, for anyone who has never been there before, it is a mind bending experience to drive into a VERY urban park, walk a short distance, and see the falls for the first time. The sights and sounds that mark the event simply defy what any reasonable person could imagine.

Voyager

Top Top

#

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Voyager

Great idea (assuming transportation is worked out among the folks). We should probably start a separate thread or take the discussion elsewhere.

On the subject I am hoping hardware - and software! - testing of Einstein is going great. This is not to be taken that I want Paul to take his time from work and post an update - I'd rather the work continue, but it's up to him and his team.

Voyager's CyberCommander reply was quite reassuring, and it'd be great to hear about similarly consistently stable and solid operation of that thing in other setups. If you are an active user of yours and it works day in day out dependably, please speak up!

-- Alex

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:35 pm

being 1 March, and past the old guestimate of the end of feb, any new estimate on the shipping schedule?

thanks,

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ]