Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ] 

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:50 pm

Site Admin

tetrode wrote:
Luap wrote:
...PLM V2 (about 6 weeks away) actually uses a speedring to put the flash dead-on-axis and the focus is more controllable. An Elinchrom speedring is also being made, and it has an adjustable 7mm shaft that doesn't protrude behind the light (if used without the speed ring.) I will be filing a patent on this design...

As an Elinchrom user, I find this surprising and very interesting. I've been waiting for the 7mm shaft version of the PLMs to become available expecting to mount them in the Elinchrom's oddball 7mm umbrella tube. Based on the quote cited above, am I correct in interpreting this to mean that the 7mm shaft of the V2 PLM is not long enough to mount using the 7mm tube and will require a speedring type of adapter? The adjustable shaft part also has me a bit confused. The near-centrally located umbrella mount on Elinchrom lights would seem to be well enough positioned that a speedring adapter offering exact central placement of the umbrella shaft wouldn't improve matters much.

If you can spare any additional details, I'm all ears, errr, eyes.

Dave F.

Not at all. The new design allows the 7mm shaft to go as far into the light as you want, or even poke out the back if you like. The on-axis speedring mounting has definite advantages - keeping the light on the centerline of the PLM and making aiming and overall performance easier and better - especially in the smaller sizes.

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:38 pm

Luap wrote:
tetrode wrote:
Luap wrote:
...PLM V2 (about 6 weeks away) actually uses a speedring to put the flash dead-on-axis and the focus is more controllable. An Elinchrom speedring is also being made, and it has an adjustable 7mm shaft that doesn't protrude behind the light (if used without the speed ring.) I will be filing a patent on this design...

As an Elinchrom user, I find this surprising and very interesting. I've been waiting for the 7mm shaft version of the PLMs to become available expecting to mount them in the Elinchrom's oddball 7mm umbrella tube. Based on the quote cited above, am I correct in interpreting this to mean that the 7mm shaft of the V2 PLM is not long enough to mount using the 7mm tube and will require a speedring type of adapter? The adjustable shaft part also has me a bit confused. The near-centrally located umbrella mount on Elinchrom lights would seem to be well enough positioned that a speedring adapter offering exact central placement of the umbrella shaft wouldn't improve matters much.

If you can spare any additional details, I'm all ears, errr, eyes.

Dave F.

Not at all. The new design allows the 7mm shaft to go as far into the light as you want, or even poke out the back if you like. The on-axis speedring mounting has definite advantages - keeping the light on the centerline of the PLM and making aiming and overall performance easier and better - especially in the smaller sizes.

That's excellent news. Thank you Paul (and Technical Support). I'm really looking forward to joining the PLM club.

Dave F.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ]