Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:16 pm

3-17-2010, spoke to Vicky about this subject and she said the on line community maybe the best place to find an answer. I was given an older Novatron 1000 power pack and one bear bulb head. It is in excellent condition. I have a ton of less powerful White Lightning strobes and saw the possibility to use this with my larger soft boxes. I noticed that the Novatron flash head has an umbrella hole that looks like the size of the umbrella hole that is on either the WL 5000, 10,000. Big idea came to mind. Will the attachment rod of the WL speed ring fit into the umbrella hole of the Novatron head? If so then it seems you could use the speed ring to attach the soft box onto the Novatron. I have measured both umbrella holes and they are almost, if not identical in size. You may ask, why not just get a Novatron speed ring? Problem with the old Novatron bare tube flash heads is that the housing is basically plastic. Anything with weight would surly crack it. Only the attachment rod that goes from the head to the light stand is metal and strong enough to hold a soft box. This attachment rod has the Umbrella hole.
Thus just wonder if any one has tired this and what experience with it they may have had. Thanks for any response.

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:39 am

Site Admin

This would depend on the specific head. I have tried a WLPA adapter on a Novatron head, and was less than successful. There is a Novatron speedring that is for the 2100 series light that is not supported by the head. MI 010 is the part number, but i do not know if it will work with that head.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]