Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi All.

I am new to the lighting game and have no idea where to start. I have a Nikon D90 and am looking to buy a single light and umbrella or soft box. What all do I need to be able to make this work? I am thinking I will go with the B800 but am lost after that. Not sure if I need to by remotes or triggers or even a power pack for that matter. I typically take on location shots so have really only used my speedlight. I am doing my first wedding as the first shooter this August and want to get something now so I can practice. ANy thoughts would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Top Top

#

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:22 pm

tifanie00,
Lets try and figure out what you need. You have your camera and speed-light which work in harmony by utilizing TTL or offer you ability to switch over to manual settings and over-ride the automated control and allow you to open up your creative imagination.
Your choice to go with non portable strobes is great, but the things to must consider will help make the decisions on equipment. You lose TTL, this means you must make/adjust all settings manually. This decision is usually made by using a light-meter for quick decision calculations. You did not mention this as possible equipment, but is usually needed.
Light modifiers- umbrella offers easy setup, more light spread, higher contrast, and many other different characteristics. Soft box is not as easy to setup but still not bad, more focused light and much softer light depending on distance. Many other choices as well to consider.
The B800 comes with a sync cord but d90 must use adapter to use and this tethers you to the light. So remotes and triggers will offer the best flexibility.
Location is what I do most as well. Vagabond is best option for portability but remember the weight. This makes the unit portable but not just grab and go without assistance. I have shot many weddings, I like complete portable with speed-light, quick light stands and small modifiers. Some use studio strobe for reception only and non ceremony shots while others use both. This is great again if you have time for setup and again some assistance. You say you will be first shooter so by experience you have been second shooter which should offer some experience on the type of equipment that you have seen others use. But asking the general question of what will be needed will only get many personal preference opinions and create confusion. So my personal preference recommendation, buy the one light, a HD stand, buy both umbrella and box if possible, white foam core or 5 n 1 if possible. Decide on light meter options or prepare to make charts (distance, light settings and aperature settings based on many test shots). Add the remotes if you can. Location will not let you use on strobe slaves because so many others will also have cameras tripping your strobes. Consider your portability needs and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]