Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm

Just checking
Will the cybersync transmitter work off the hotshoe of the lumix gf1- just as a manual trigger?
I assume it will, but thought I would ask before I blow the whole thing up.
Thanks
Gary

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Site Admin

CyberCommander and CST will fire from any device that has a hotshoe or PC out connecion. Sony and Minolta cameras will need an inexpensive adapter, all others are a direct fit.

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:49 pm

I've also got a GF1, so I'll be needing CST on the camera, but what about the off-camera flash? I own a canon speedlight 420ex. What do I need to trigger that flashgun?

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:56 am

Site Admin

The 420 can get a fire from the CSRB connected by the SLFA. So you need the CST, CSRB, and SLFA. However, if memory serves, the 420 will fire only in full power, i do not believe it has a manual adjust option ( i could be wrong, check your manual). Also, i think the 420 has an auto shut off that is maddeningly fast, again check your manual. My understanding is that it is not a popular "Strobist" flash for these reasons, and would exhibit the same characteristics with any remote. Again, i would research its effectiveness before frustration sets in.

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for your reply. Your memory serves you well, the 420ex doesn't have a manual mode and shuts down really quick, but I own it from a previous life, a Canon life, and I was wondering if something good could come out of it.

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Site Admin

A possible helpful note. This is to be done at your discretion and your own risk. I have a flash that will auto shut off rather quickly. However, if the "light" button remains depressed it will not shut off. A similar technique may be useable for you as well, using a power button or the like. I wedged a small piece of plastic between the button and housing, making the mod reversible. The unit now stays awake until I shut it off. Again, this may or may not lead to overheating or rapidly drained batteries, so it is at your risk.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]