Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:20 am

O.K., I’m confused. I was very hesitant on purchasing my B1600 units as all I have ever heard is color problems, color problems.
I had my first chance to use my purchase, for any extended time, last week.
All 10 units were turned on @ 8:00 A.M.. The car was brought in and testing began and a color balance was recorded using a Macbeth color checker. The lights, being hard to get to, were left to idle. Then we sat until 12:20 when the A.D. arrived. I checked the color again and found no real drift. At 2:30 a different car was brought in and an another check of the color. Again no real drift. The Macbeth was on a stand with a grip head so I feel I was fairly close to the same place each time. Finished at 4:30 and just for grins checked color again, no drift. To me I saw no color difference in any of the units.
My question is, A: will this change with time, B: just real lucky, C: was I trusting liars ?
I know everyone is ga-ga @ the go-go over the Einstein but these seem to work great. I still hate the mod lights. May I have your thoughts or experiences.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:10 pm

Site Admin

From one shot to the next at any given power level has never been a concern. The hubbalahoo comes from the shift from one power setting to the next. At full, the lights are 5600K. Dropping in temperature 70K or so per stop. This is true with all analog lights. Our lights may have a little extra drop than some at the low end, but our lights also dial down further than many lights (thus causing the increased drop in temp). At a given power setting, the light coming from the flash tube is pretty predictable. Modifiers and the environment can easily shift color more than the drop in power, though it should still remain consistent from shot to shot at the same power setting.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]