Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Tue May 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi there :)

i'm new user for ALIENBEES 1600W from Saudi Arabia and i have 2

the prevailing type of electricity in Saudi Arabia is 220v
so, What is the specifications of the device that converts electricity from 220v to 110v ??how much watts? and tell me everything i need to use 2 units of alienbees 1600w

and if i need battery to use it with flashs outdoor, what is the specifications for the device??

amp and watt and all of info please.

:roll: thanks for help

Top Top

#

Tue May 25, 2010 2:08 pm

Site Admin

If you have 120V lights, you will need a 1000W true magnetic transformer. If you plan on more lights, you may consider a bigger transformer. If you have 240V lights, no transformer is needed (there will be a bright orange sticker on the back just to the right of the power plug if it is 240V).

For portable power, you can use our Vagabond II to power 120V Alien Bees, or you may consider the Innovatronix power supply for 240V lights. To make your own, you will need a 300W (or more) voltage regulated pure sine wave inverter and deep cycle battery. The battery should match the input voltage of the inverter (probably 12VDC). The Amperage will dictate how many shots per charge you get, so there is not a particular right or wrong on that. You should also get an inverter which has output voltage matching the lights (i.e. a 120V inverter for 120V lights).

Top Top

#

Tue May 25, 2010 3:07 pm

thanks for your replay

my flashes is 120v

:)

and Vagabond II is too expensive :|

i need to know if i use portable power which give me 400w
is it enough for 2 1600w flashes ??

thanks alot :)

Top Top

#

Tue May 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Site Admin

400W trasformer is not enough, you will blow fuses

400W portable power (like the Vagabond) can work. However, as mentioned, you will need a pure sinewave inverter. If you do not, then damage can occur to the lights. The damage may be slow or it may be fast, but modified sinewave inverters are not good for our lights. Also, the inverter must be current regulated. This means under a heavy draw (like during recycle) the unit will lower voltage, but continue to output power (like a brown out). Those that do not see the heavy draw, and shut off. This means you will have to reset the inverter after each shot. Inverters that meet those criteria are more expensive, hence the cost of the Vagabond.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]