Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Wed May 26, 2010 9:35 am

I have been playing around with the commander and my Einstein (And have decided to sell my two alien bees and two White Lightnings and go all Einsteins) and have only noticed one problem.

On the back of my Einstein it properly reports 2.5 ws to 640ws

On the commander it goes from 256ws to 1280ws (with a few 6000ws in the middle)

Is this a firmware fix that I haven't applied?

Top Top

#

Wed May 26, 2010 9:44 am

Site Admin

If you do not have V29 firmware installed, you will need to do so. Please see this post regarding that update: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=346

It sounds like you have either FW22 or FW27, either will show strange specs for Einstein.

Top Top

#

Wed May 26, 2010 3:04 pm

I just received a replacement CC yesterday, and it does the same thing with AB's. I was getting WS readings in the thousands. (and yes, it came with firmware version 29)

I gave up on customer service (they like to blame the SD card and the firmware, but both were 5 min old :roll: ) and started messing with stuff myself. Take out the card and the batteries, put batts back in, leave SD card OUT. Fire up everything, make the changes you want, look at the WS readings. If they are correct now, insert card now.

This worked for mine, try it on yours.

Brian

Top Top

#

Wed May 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Site Admin

Actually, FW v22 or 27 will have the Einstein reading at 1280Ws, specifically. Updating the FW will solve that problem.

On the second issue, my guess is the Ws rating is not just in the thousands, but tens or hundreds of thousands. The fact that the remote returns to normal by restarting with the card out suggests the issue could be with the card (they are purchased in bulk, it is not out of the realm of possibility). We are looking into the specifics regarding this. By the way, since you have experienced this, bkfink, go to the flash meter option in the menu and double check that just below "Cal" it says "+0.0f". Even though everything appears normal, an offset could have occured due to this error.

Top Top

#

Wed May 26, 2010 3:37 pm

Technical Support wrote:
The fact that the remote returns to normal by restarting with the card out suggests the issue could be with the card (they are purchased in bulk, it is not out of the realm of possibility).

I have two extra Lexar cards around, I've tried these and it makes no difference. Highly unlikely that all three cards are bad. It is almost like there is some sort of issue with the card interface itself. Most of the problems with my first CC revolved around the condition of a card being in or out, just as some of the odd behavior with the new CC. The new CC also refused to change the Einstein's modeling light status, along with the odd WS numbers on the AB400.

The fiddling I did seemed to solve the problems for now. Currently running with the SD card that came with the new CC.

There's a gremlin in there somewere...

Brian

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]