Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 50 posts ] 

Fri May 14, 2010 11:13 am

F01 wrote:
I am very familiar with importing goods into the UK and know what this entails and the costs from a business perspective. I also import goods for personal use and I am aware of the costs of that too.

Sounds easy then....ask a friend in the US to buy a bunch of the PLMs or whatever you want...take care of the importing yourself to you and a few friends.
I suspect you'll find that you'll be close to Colin's costs..

A pretty standard business rule is that if you add a distributor to the chain, costs will go up 50%. In the US, we can buy directly from alien bees, so there's 50% already. Then you have to tack on import duties, your lovely VAT, etc., it adds up quickly ;-)

And even taking the cost into account, you won't find any other monolight w/ IGBT technology at the cost AFAIK...

Top Top

#

Fri May 14, 2010 11:27 am

Site Admin

I would like to remind everyone that this is a Technical Discussion board. If you have any questions regarding pricing, please contact us or Colin at one of the following email adresses.

info@paulcbuff.com
info@paulcbuff.eu.com
info@paulcbuff.com.au

Top Top

#

Fri May 14, 2010 11:29 am

Colin Smith wrote:
Sorry I totally dis-agree. You are taking a UK price and then converting it back to US$ and then saying that it is expensive.

I think you mean £69 ex VAT not $69.

Colin Smith wrote:
In the US a 64 inch silver PLM costs $59.95, in the UK that same PLM costs $69 ex VAT which is more or less $$ for Pound.

Now I will give you my calculation:-

PLM 64 silver
US Buy 59.95
UK Buy Price: 39.44 GBP
Markup 10.00 GBP
Freight component to ship from US 18GBP
Credit Card Fess about 2 GBP

Total = 69GBP ex VAT, but this does not include any customs duties.

The Chancellor Of The Exchequer makes more money out of it than we do maybe you should highlight your concerns to him.

I take it you would want us to sell a PLM at 45 GBP. That is all well and good in theory but in practice it is not possible unless you wish you share how you would make it happen.

Firstly I wasn't suggesting that you sell the PLM at 45 GBP although it would be nice (for me) if you did.

To answer your other question I would say start with your shipping costs. 18GBP for shipping a 64" PLM from the USA? That's not right. It should be part of a bulk shipment and overall costs should be much, lower.

BTW last night I saw on another forum that your company had given people that were placing orders estimated quotes for shipping within the UK of £57 for a Vagabond and an Einstein and £63 for a Vagabond, an Einstein and a PLM and a quote to someone in Finland who regularly buys equipment form the UK that was 10 times what he expected.

I know that these were estimates and I believe that you managed to sort that out (with some pointers from board members?) but shipping is just not that expensive. I really think that you need to look at this.

The other thing I would question is why certain items are coming to you from the USA and not directly from the factory in China. It may be okay to start off that way but once you get some traction and have an understanding of your volumes it may make sense to switch to direct importing for items that are not assembled/tested in the USA as long as this would give you a further discount with PCB.

For cheaper items this may make a difference but it may not be worth it in the end since it may also prove to be more hassle.

Credit card fees should probably be around £1.30 or less for the overall amount you charge for the PLM 64 (excluding shipping). Of course this will come down if you manage to reduce the total amount charged but If you are paying more than 1.6%, negotiate.

The real culprit here seems to be the amount that you have assigned for freight from the USA. I don't know if this is just an guesstimate or if this is an estimate from your chosen courier based on the size and weight of the items you are planning to ship.

Top Top

#

Fri May 14, 2010 11:32 am

Technical Support wrote:
I would like to remind everyone that this is a Technical Discussion board. If you have any questions regarding pricing, please contact us or Colin at one of the following email adresses.

info@paulcbuff.com
info@paulcbuff.eu.com
info@paulcbuff.com.au

OK.

Top Top

#

Fri May 14, 2010 3:05 pm

glenburnett wrote:
Is the pricing on the EU store including or excluding VAT?

Including VAT.

Top Top

#

Sat May 15, 2010 6:46 am

Technical Support wrote:

Dear Technical support:
Clearly, current and potential customers of Paul C. Buff want to discuss things related to pricing, availability, spare parts, physical dimensions, best-practices, and other aspects of the company's products that are not "technical." Thus, wouldn't it simply make sense to set up a section of this forum for such discussions? Part of having great customer service (which the company has long had) is fulfilling needs. It seems people need to talk about these things online. Admonishing them that this is not the place to do so points out the problem, but does not, to me, anyway, appear to be the best solution, nor one that is working. If such a place exists, I am not aware of it. Thank you very much.

Top Top

#

Sun May 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi Colin

Any estimation of when you will receive stock for Australia?..Getting very itchy :) :)

Top Top

#

Sun May 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Can you please drop me an email to info@paulcbuff.eu.com

Top Top

#

Sun May 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Site Admin

Dick Hertz wrote:
Technical Support wrote:

Dear Technical support:
Clearly, current and potential customers of Paul C. Buff want to discuss things related to pricing, availability, spare parts, physical dimensions, best-practices, and other aspects of the company's products that are not "technical." Thus, wouldn't it simply make sense to set up a section of this forum for such discussions? Part of having great customer service (which the company has long had) is fulfilling needs. It seems people need to talk about these things online. Admonishing them that this is not the place to do so points out the problem, but does not, to me, anyway, appear to be the best solution, nor one that is working. If such a place exists, I am not aware of it. Thank you very much.

First, I'm against a bunch of sub forums . . . I prefer everything to be in one place. But, I think sometimes the Tech moderator may have gone a tad overboard on questions such as addressed here. I'll discuss it with him. I think what Tech is trying to accomplish is to discourage a lot of debate about prices and reasons for the price, duties, shipping costs, VAT - especially when they turn into gripe sessions.

This is why I locked the CA/AZ thread . . . it degenerated into name calling and excess off topic debate.

Top Top

#

Wed May 26, 2010 10:56 pm

Any progress on this? The UK site says 4-8 weeks for deliveries (didn't it start out at 4-6 weeks back in April?) and there is no other indication of when supplies will be available.

Should we now be setting our expectations to be July or August for the first UK deliveries?

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 50 posts ]