Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Sat May 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Hello! Just picked up my vagabond today, thanks!

A question - I plugged it in to charge as instructed. I plugged it in inside. Air flow was low at the time, as doors and windows were closed. When other members of my family arrived home they could smell something a bit like 'rotton eggs'. I could not smell it, I presume as I was around while the smell was 'building'.

One of my family members who works around hazardous gases/confined spaces told me that lead acid batteries produce hydrogen gas while charging, though this also smelled slightly of sulfur (hydrogen sulfite?).

I was just wondering if there should be a notice to charge these units in a well ventilated space? I suppose Hydrogen by itself is highly volatile. Just thought I would check.

Thanks very much for the help,

Paul.

Top Top

#

Sat May 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Site Admin

The SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries are completely sealed and do not outgas like older vented car batteries. If you are smelling this, it's not impossible that the battery is not completely sealed, though we have not seen units like this. I suggest discussing it with tech help or customer service.

Top Top

#

Sun May 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks for your help Paul.

I've tried it again after some use and no smell this time (though I had a bit better ventilation. Maybe something to do with first time charging in the bag? Not sure how you break them in at the factory.

Will let you know if anything goes amiss in any case.

Thanks again, appreciate your reply.

Paul

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]