Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:55 am

Do you make a device that would allow using a PLM and centering it with the shaft through the center hole of the ring flash? ;)

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:21 am

Site Admin

The ring flash comes with an umbrella holder. It looks like a funnel with a screw in it. All umbrellas mounted in a ringflash are centered due to its unique design. This is not possible with most monolights, thus the new design of the PLM.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Is the center umbrella attachment strong enough to hold one of the large PLM's? I just used it for the first time last night for a regular shoot-through. Not much of an issue, I'll most likely use my PLM (when they're in!) with the 1600 I ordered to help overpower the sun. I'm still learning with the ring flash and want to make sure I don't break it while still learning it!

Picture quality is great, only downside is the zoom ring on my 18-200 sticks in a bit too far. Works fabulous with my 50mm though, just have to adjust power when "zooming" with my feet!

Matt

PS, all experiences so far with the lights and customer service staff have been beyond exceptional.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Site Admin

I just placed an 86" PLM in an ABR800, and it held well, just make sure the umbrella adapter is positioned so the flanges make as much contact with each other as possible on the inside diameter of the ringflash.

As for the zoom being unreachable: I had a customer describe his solution that worked for him. Basically, he took a cardboard core of an appropriate size (think paper towel tube, only bigger) and cut it in half (so you now have two half cylinders) and cut to desired length. Place one end of the half tube over the zoom ring and secure with rubberbands (depending on the lens, you may wish to add spacers between the zoom ring and half-tube. You may also want to experiment with friction material between the lens and tube). The half-tube then extended back toward the camera. By turning the tube, he could now zoom as desired, without reaching within the ringflash.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:43 pm

That's a really creative idea, with a bit of playing around it might work. Only problem I can think of is Nikon's placement of the focus ring right near the camera. I'm sure I can just cut the cardboard a bit short and get it working.

Thanks for the tip!

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]