Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:07 pm

The gear I'm trying to set up was actually purchased in February/March 2009 but my life got put on hold because of some life threatening family issues. This is why I am getting to this now. Also, this is my first dip into flash photography as my background is in available light and continuous lighting so please be patient with me.

I have an Olympus E-3 and Olympus E-520. There's no external flash connector on the E-520 so I will be using this with the E-3. I've got 2 ABR800s, a cybersync transmitter and 3 CSRB+ battery powered receivers which I planned to use with the lights and my Olympus FL-50R (as a background light). My plan, originally, was to add another strobe or two and get the Cyber Commander down the road but I'd just like to get what I have working for now and go from there.

I hooked up the CSRB+ to one of the abr800 lights and it test fine. I did notice that the modeling light is flickering at anything over 1/2 power so I shut it off for now. The CST went on my hot shoe but it was a little tight and I connected the cord to the external flash connector but I'm not sure it fits right-it's not completely flush with the socket. I looked all through the documentation for the size of the connector but could not find any reference to it. I hit the test button and I get nothing. My first thought is that the battery is just dead. I've never used them but I'm going to stop on my way home to get a battery and see if that helps.

I really wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong and the flickering modeling light had me concerned so I thought it would be wise to inquire. I think so much time had passed between learning about the lights, actually getting them and having a chance to use them that it's all a bit overwhelming.

Thanks for your time and any insight you can provide.

Beth Amato

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:30 pm

Site Admin

First, both cameras have hotshoes, so the CST will fit either. The PC connector is not necessary to use when using the hotshoe. In fact, since you are connecting the CST via the hotshoe, do not connect the PC cord as it can prevent the unit from firing. Not connected to the camera, press the test button on the CST. One flash of the red LED means the battery is good. No flashes or multiple flashes indicate a bad battery. Also, if there are no flashes, check the battery orientation. The + side should be facing down in the tray. regarding the tight fit, place the CST upright on a table and press down on it, fircing the contact up inside the CST. Do this several times, and the fit should loosen just enough to slide onto the hotshoe. The design is intentionally tight, and we have never heard of a camera or CST breaking from this. This prevents overtightening of locking wheels and accidental slide out of the transmitter.

As for the light and flickering; are you using the headphone jack connection or the telephone jack connection when this happens? You should be using the headphone jack cable until you get the Cyber Commander. Try a different outlet, preferably on a different circuit to see if there may be a grounding issue. Also, is there anything else on the same circuit that may introduce line noise, like an air conditioner, refridgerator, fan, or the like? Are you plugging directly into the wall, or are you using a surege protector. If using a surge protector, remove it and see if the light does the same plugged directly into the wall.

Top Top

#

Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks, it worked. Just needed a battery in the transmitter. I didn't realize the light would be bright on it so I guess I was seeing the blinking light, with the dead battery, out of wishful thinking.

Thanks for your time,
Beth

Top Top

#

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:08 am

I am in a rented studio within a larger building so I tried both of my ABRs the outlet on the opposite wall, which happened to be on another circuit, and they do not flicker at full power. The electricians came to investigate, tried replacing the outlet which didn't help. They ended up trying my one of my lights in other outlets within the building just to see if it was happening anywhere else and it is but it's sporadic. They tested everything and can't seem to figure out what the issue is so they said they may have to replace the wiring in the wall and see if that fixes it.
If they can't fix it, I will try to use the other outlets obviously but sometimes I may have to use that outlet and was wondering if I could use an APC or something similar. Any recommendations on specs if that is an acceptable remedy?

Thanks,
Beth

Top Top

#

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:30 am

Site Admin

You would not want to use a UPC, as the inverters in those are modified sine wave (typically). However, and AC line conditioner could help clean the power going into the light.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]