Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Greetings!..say, I was wondering if I could use the grids and frost diffusers available as a "poor mans softbox". The reason I ask is that the diffusers and grids would make smaller sails when used outdoors...Any ideas suggestions or disdain for this concept?

Top Top

#

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:36 am

Site Admin

The 22" Silver or white beauty dish with sock attached makes a superb "roundbox". You could put a layer of nylon on the 11RLT and get a good softbox effect . . . but too small to do much.

Top Top

#

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:41 am

Along this line of thought - how would the 22" retro laser reflector be as a light modifier when used like it was the Beauty Dish?

Since the Einstein can be powered down quite a lot, it seems like it could be used as a portrait light - although I suppose it is harder to put a diffuser on it - although I know that someone shot it through white diffusion material - but then I guess it is the diffusion material that forms the light.

Maybe I will have to pick up the beauty dish at some point too :)

Top Top

#

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:43 am

+1 on the 22" beauty dish for location work, especially when working alone. They're quick & easy to set up, produce nice light, and they're not as kite-like as a softbox or umbrella.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:46 am

Thanks for the responses...I will check out ther 22 in beauty light idea ..thanks again

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]