Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 15 posts ] 

Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm in the same situation. I already have a Lastolite Ezy Box for a hotshoe, and am looking for a speedring plate that I can attach an Alien Bee 800 into that will mount to the softbox. Does Buff sell one of these?

http://mpex.com/lastolite-ezybox-ii-spe ... hting.html

I'd really like to make use of this softbox, but have found that speedlights aren't dependable.

Top Top

#

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:02 am

Site Admin

No. We do not sell speedrings for that specific softbox.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:25 pm

tetrode wrote:
An AB/Balcar speed ring insert that has a diameter of 6" (152mm) will generally work well with folding softboxes like the Lastolite EZYbox that you have. Even better is the Kacey AB adapter (http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=481) which is a bit over 6" in diameter. I've used it successfully to mount a Cheetah QBox24 folding softbox on an Einstein:

While I don't own the 24" EZYbox, I do own a 15" EZYbox and the Kacey AB adapter fits it very snuggly and holds it firmly with virtually no sag. This photo shows the interior of my Lastolite EZYbox Hotshoe 15" mounted on an Einstein using the Kacey AB adapter:

There isn't much room between the Pyrex dome and the EZYbox fabric so Technical Support's caveat regarding use of the modeling light should definitely be heeded.

Dave F.

Hi Dave F.,

I noticed that you posted this a couple of years back and so I just wanted to follow up. I have a QBox24 and will be purchasing an Einstein E640 today. Are you STILL happpy with the Kacey AB adapter? I see that Cheetah now makes their own adapter ring but there is no image available nor do they know the diameter. Since your post, have you tried the Kacey AB adapter with a QBox24 or do you know anyone who has and had success?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Michael A.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:39 pm

I have a couple of QBox 24" units and use the Einstein in them. I watch out carefully with almost any box when using the modeling lights. I find that all the 152mm rings will be held by the spring metal ribs of the QBox. Kacey makes some great rings and such, but order carefully so you get the right gpiece, as some of the rings are for Kacey's other gear and not that standard 152mm outer diameter that has become a "standard".

Also note that there is an advantage to a flatter ring as it places the tube perhaps 3/4 inches further into the box making better side reflections to add to the box output and evenness. Make sure that whatever plate you use allows air into the vents that ring the outside of the tube face. There is a 1/8" flange that turns down and in to do this so that flange always faces back toward the tube.

There is another trick with a Qbox and perhaps the LastoLite. To avoid sag fit the ring into three out of the four lips of springy metal, keeping the bottom one outside. this fights against any sag. Try it. Maybe age, maybe manufacture, but this helps my Qbox aiming and keeps fabric further from the model light.

Love my QBoxes! (Love my Einsteins, too.) I had these here when I bought my Buff Stuff.

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:37 am

Hello

On Ebay.com i found an "Balcar Mount To Bowen's Mounts Ring Speedring Adapter for Studio Flash Strobe". This costs only US$ 26 and is full metal.

You can use it to fit the Einstein with the Lastolite EzyBox, further you are able to us all the Bowen's Compatible Light-former on the Einstein. I have tested it myself. It works really fine with the Lastolite Eyzbox 80cm but also with my 180cm Octagon Lightning Diffuse Soft-box (you only need also a very good Light-stand!).
I owned much Bowen's compatible Light-former before I bought both Einsteins. Now I can use it with the old and new Strobe.

Regards

Gérard
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Balcar-Mounts-to-Bowens-Mount-Speedring-Adapter-for-Studio-Flash-Strobe-Light-/121447072804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c46cf4424

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 15 posts ]