Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 16 posts ] 

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 pm

if you step up to white lightning they can handle more.

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:02 am

Site Admin

weshootya wrote:
So, I need a more powerfull modeling light, how do I do this with my 1600 AB? Do I need to buy a different light?

You could try to find a more efficient 150W bulb, but I don't know if there is one. For what reason do you need a brighter model lamp? ( I ask, as there may be work arounds)

Danny[/quote]
ptlphotostan wrote:

As can Einstein.

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Technical Support wrote:
weshootya wrote:
So, I need a more powerfull modeling light, how do I do this with my 1600 AB? Do I need to buy a different light?

You could try to find a more efficient 150W bulb, but I don't know if there is one. For what reason do you need a brighter model lamp? ( I ask, as there may be work arounds)

Danny

ptlphotostan wrote:

As can Einstein.[/quote]

Right now in the studio, I use two 800's side by side at full power on modeling or constant light. I like the look of this type of light rather than a low flash, as I want to shoot at 1.4 or 2.8. I would rather have the flexibility to use only one light that I can have more power with, so i can have it a little further from the subject.

Even one 1600, is not powerful enough. I hope that explained it.

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Your're using ABs as lamps, no?
If so, it would be much easier to buy some $20 Smith-Victor constant light heads and mount them to your stands. You can put whatever bulb you want in them.

Brian

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Site Admin

Ok, i think i understand. 1 B1600 model lamp will equal 1 B800 model lamp, which equals 1 B400 model lamp, so the lack of difference is not surprising. Einstein, WL, and Zeus all use 250W bulbs, just shy of 2x 150W that are in the Bees. A B400 has a minimum power roughly equal to the 300W (2x 150W) lights, exposed for 1/10, Einstein will be roughly equal to the same lights, but exposed for 1/20. B800's will be the roughly same as 1/5 of a second.

You can cut the flash power by the use of Neutral Density gels, which is a far less expensive option than new lights, as well, there is better action stopping from using the flash vs. a continuous source. Plus it is easier to mount and control 1 light rather than 2. We offer ND gels to fit the 7" reflectors, but you can get larger ones to fit larger modifiers as well.

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Between 20 and 60 years of age, the eye's ability to distinguish contrast diminishes two-and-a-half times. You need brighter light the older you get and I'm getting close to the top end.

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 16 posts ]