Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 17 posts ] 

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:33 pm

bkfink wrote:
Thanks Alex,

I have two small humans (children) tormenting me right now, so I will have to try this tomorrow. My engineering education leans more towards the construction end of the stick. EE classes 25 years ago made my skull hurt. Electrons smectrons, I've never seen them varmits, how do I know they're real. ;)

Matallurgy and beam stress computations in turn does the same to my scull :-)

In terms of measuring how much juice the battery has, many batteries (esp lithiums and most rechargeables) "recover" much of their open-circuit voltage (i.e. measured without current) if allowed to sit idle for a bit - but of course if they're drained that newly recovered full voltage won't last under load. Without a meter designed to measure remaining capacity of that type batteries the best way to make sure they are really not dead is to put them in a nice strong flashlight - or similar load - and have them go for 20 min+. If they go strong, confirms that they were nearly full.

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:50 pm

I think I've found the problem...

Batteries? No, they're just fine.

Firmware update 29? No, had same problem before and after the update.

Only thing left was the micro SD card. Put new Lexar card in, and everything works fine so far. If it does it again, I'm mailing it in.

Speaking of the firmware update, I don't see the Einstein listed on the CC's light type menu. When they arrive, do you just use the B1600 label?

Brian

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Site Admin

That's part of the beauty of the Einstein, CSXCV and CC combo! You don't have to program it. Make sure the Einstein is set to the right frequency, and no channels are doubled, then open memory, open from studio (as normal). Once the CC is done opening, all Einsteins are automatically set to the model of light it is and the model lamp intensity.

You can then make any adjustment you want to the Einstein, including powering it off (yes, really powering off, not just a standby mode like the analog lights) and on (reboots and everything). If you power off at a breaker, or VII switch, or power strip; and once power is restored, you can just bump the new "Refresh" button, and the units turn on and restore themselves to the last settings.

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Technical Support wrote:
That's part of the beauty of the Einstein, CSXCV and CC combo! You don't have to program it. Make sure the Einstein is set to the right frequency, and no channels are doubled, then open memory, open from studio (as normal). Once the CC is done opening, all Einsteins are automatically set to the model of light it is and the model lamp intensity.

You can then make any adjustment you want to the Einstein, including powering it off (yes, really powering off, not just a standby mode like the analog lights) and on (reboots and everything). If you power off at a breaker, or VII switch, or power strip; and once power is restored, you can just bump the new "Refresh" button, and the units turn on and restore themselves to the last settings.

Will the Einstein come up to "last settings" that I used even if I loaned it to a friend and he/she used it with his/her Cyber Commander in his/her studio? Or will they have to go through the "open memory......studio" process again?

RMS

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Site Admin

Likely they would be using a different set up (freq and channels, etc.). If you save a set up before you loan it out, you can recall that set up easily. Since it is saved to the memory card, if you do not trust your friend to not overwrite the set up, you can lock the set up, and/or remove the card and keep it.

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:22 am

Thanks TS for the useful info. So the memory card in the Einstein saves the setups? I thought setups were saved only on the card in the CC and the card in the Einstein was used only for firmware updates.

RMS

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:42 am

Site Admin

Sorry, I mis-read the question. Correct answer: If you keep the commander with the set ups (so your friends dont mess with them), and if the Einstein is still set to the proper channel and frequency when you get it back, you can hit the refresh button, and it will revert to the set up on the Commander. If the CH/FREQ is changed, you will have to manually power on the Einstein, reset CH and FREQ, then hit the refresh button.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 17 posts ]