Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 27 posts ] 

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:55 am

Luap wrote:
Shine wrote:
So Paul, which one will be release first? The PLM V2 or Einsteins or both in the same date? Really love to add the 86" PLM in my Einstein pre-order and would love them to ship altogether rather than in separate shipment. Grid for the PLM also very tempting though... :D :lol:

Each is a separate product with separate vendors and all will ship as soon as humanly possible. This is not a snap your fingers and watch it happens process . . . wish it was.

Sorry Paul if my prev msg sounded pressure on you... Doesn't mean it, just exciting to be able to have them all... :)

Wel... Gotta email Colin about adding and replacing my pre-order. Hope He don't hate me for that... ;)

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:01 am

I've used several of the current PLM's and, in my opinion, the most overlooked configuration is the 86" white PLM in reflective mode with the PLM reflector with no front diffuser. This configuration yields exceptional soft light with smooth shadow transitions. At first, I used the silver 86" PLM with the front diffuser but find myself reaching for the white PLM as described above because of its light quality. PLM v2 may be "better" than the current v1 but the current product is really something special. I've worked with photographers who have said, "I have low ceilings" yet the 86" PLM can be used with 9' ceilings. In addition, this modifier is easily transported to location shoots.

The second overlooking item is the PLM reflector. This simple reflector is not a one-trick pony. I have used this reflector for lighting white backdrops positioned directly behind the subject. When compared to other reflectors (7", spill-kill, shovel) the PLM reflector did a significantly better job of reflecting the light wide and to the edges of the backdrop. This is no surprise - it's exactly what this reflector is intended to do. While the original intent was to provide this wide spread for use with PLM modifiers, this reflector comes in handy for use by itself as well.

Tim

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:44 pm

What kind of stand would you recommend for PLM?

Thanks

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Site Admin

You will definately want one of the 13' stands for the 86", and probably the 64". There is quite a bit of tourqe with such large modifiers. You could probably sand bag a 10' stand, but i would rather carry a bigger stand, and not sandbags.

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Hello!
Whats the status of PLM?

Thanks
Andrew

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Luap wrote:
I believe V1 with much improved front diffuser and shorter 8mm shaft came in late last week in 86" and 64". Check with Customer Service.

I'm waiting for first sample of V2 next week. If it's OK were probably looking at 4-6 weeks.

Um, Paul, please put me down as #1 on the PLM V2 preorder list :-)

Seriously. 2 of the largest size, 1 silver, 1 white. Front diffusion cloth for both; backspill cloth for the white one. (I might possibly also get a small silver and/or white one with similar accessories).

Regards
Alex Karasev

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:59 pm

English only please

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:17 pm

euscera wrote:
Hello!
Whats the status of PLM?

Thanks
Andrew

Any updates? If we order PLMs now, while they are backordered, will the ones that ship be V2? Thanks!

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:22 pm

drb wrote:
euscera wrote:
Hello!
Whats the status of PLM?

Thanks
Andrew

Any updates? If we order PLMs now, while they are backordered, will the ones that ship be V2? Thanks!

Same question here. I'm keeping my order on hold because of the PLMs (will be ordering lights, etc.). Also, if the order is placed now - will I get my order including PLMs V2 by the end of June? Is this expectation realistic? I can only imagine how many people are on the backorder list right now and i have no idea what shipment volumes are expected in the nearest future. Might be a good idea to place a sticky on this board with updates regarding PLMs?

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:34 pm

ZERO wrote:
drb wrote:
euscera wrote:
Hello!
Whats the status of PLM?

Thanks
Andrew

Same question here. I'm keeping my order on hold because of the PLMs (will be ordering lights, etc.). Also, if the order is placed now - will I get my order including PLMs V2 by the end of June? Is this expectation realistic? I can only imagine how many people are on the backorder list right now and i have no idea what shipment volumes are expected in the nearest future. Might be a good idea to place a sticky on this board with updates regarding PLMs?

Same question exactly. Would be great to hear an updated estimate of when white and silver PLM V2's and their front/back diffusion cloths would be available for shipping.

Thanks

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 27 posts ]