Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ] 

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:45 pm

Paul:

Big congrats on the Einstein front. On the subject of firmware, how about a diagnostic/debug mode - when enabled, the thing would record all appropriate settings, events and other telemetry to a log file on the flash card - from power-up continuously up to the point where the issue occurs (which might be user action, rf interference, power glitch, malfunction, bug, etc.). That file could be instrumental in cutting down the support time/cost interpreting, troubleshooting or replicating any issues going forward.

Alex

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Luap wrote:
On Einstein, a firmware change could make Einstein act just like an AB, but then it would have the same duration and color shifts as a Bee. as a Bee. Actually not a bad idea though . . . a firmware option that mimics a conventional monolight.

Sounds like it's doable as long as you can use the firmware to control the voltage to the caps? It'd just make it easier to integrate Einstein into studios w/ older AB/WL gear so it'll color shift w/ the rest (could even get it to color shift in the CC code that figures out what the predominant lights are). Thanks for thinking about it...I completely understand that other stuff takes priority though ;-)

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Site Admin

Einstein and CC can do almost anything with firmware. But this takes a lot of time and we have to start with our best shot at it.

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:25 pm

kenyee wrote:
Luap wrote:
On Einstein, a firmware change could make Einstein act just like an AB, but then it would have the same duration and color shifts as a Bee. as a Bee. Actually not a bad idea though . . . a firmware option that mimics a conventional monolight.

Sounds like it's doable as long as you can use the firmware to control the voltage to the caps? It'd just make it easier to integrate Einstein into studios w/ older AB/WL gear so it'll color shift w/ the rest (could even get it to color shift in the CC code that figures out what the predominant lights are). Thanks for thinking about it...I completely understand that other stuff takes priority though ;-)

Or you can just gel the bees to bring them up to Einstein level or vice versa.

Legend has it that early on in the space race, a writing instrument was needed that could write upside-down or in weightlessness, not leak in the vacuum of space, not be affected by hot or cold, and even write underwater. After significant R&D an AG7 ball point pen was developed in the U.S. that overcame these significant challenges. ...And the Russians just used a pencil. ;-)

(In reality Fisher was not contracted by the government to develop the space pen, but once available, both U.S. and Soviet space agencies had adopted it and used alongside pencils and felt-tip pens). But you get my point. Sometimes complex problems have simple solutions that work 95% as good as an infinitely complicated 99.99% solution.

Alex

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:03 am

I get the feeling that it's time to stop my recent used medium format lens buying binge, and get the budget ready for Einstein... The Peoples Republic of New Jersey had it's first day of 60 degree weather since the start of winter today, and I just read the great news from PCB about the Einstein test. It's a good omen.... I wish I pre-ordered more than two. Anyone want to give up their place in line? :)

Anyone???

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:52 am

You can have mine. I moved on to some great lights already. I had reserved two. My friend and I were interested in the PLM and Vagabond II. Of course, it is not available. Is there a waiting list for everything here?.. LOL.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Alex.K.NY wrote:
kenyee wrote:
Luap wrote:
Or you can just gel the bees to bring them up to Einstein level or vice versa.

The gel would have to vary w/ power level, but yes, that's true. And with softboxes, you have some color cast in light anyways. It probably would have only mattered if you were running all your lights below 1/4 power level.

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:31 pm

Site Admin

People tend to think the color shift VS power is an AB thing. It's not - you get the same on Elinchrom, Hensel, ProFoto or just about any other monolight. It's pure physics - color drops 75-80° per f stop of power reduction.

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:59 am

But Paul: Correct me if I am wrong, new Elinchrom have ability to adjust the color temperture as the power decrease.

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:56 am

Site Admin

bareimage wrote:
But Paul: Correct me if I am wrong, new Elinchrom have ability to adjust the color temperture as the power decrease.

It does? Please post a link if you have one. What model? Certainly not RX600 or D Lite. I have tested both completely and they have exactly the same color vs power curve as AB or anything else without IGBTs.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ]