Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ] 

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:15 am

Finally, I have placed a pre-order of 2 Einsteins, a Vagabond II, a speedring and 2 8.5" HOR with PCB Australia. I'm so exciting now and looking forward to "play" with them. I'd like to thank you Paul and PCB staff for helping me... :)

Anyway Paul, will the Einstein be ready for shipping by the end of March?

Yipieee.... Just received conformation of my pre order from Colin - PCB Australia. GREAAAT!!! Now officially I'm IN guys.... :lol:

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:00 am

Luap wrote:
bareimage wrote:
But Paul: Correct me if I am wrong, new Elinchrom have ability to adjust the color temperture as the power decrease.

It does? Please post a link if you have one. What model? Certainly not RX600 or D Lite. I have tested both completely and they have exactly the same color vs power curve as AB or anything else without IGBTs.

I think the new, just released D-Lites have it. Unfortunately Elinchrom doesn't offer proper specs on their website but a distributor from Austria has some info on their site:
http://www.foto-mueller.at/shop/fotostudio-technik/elinchrom-d-lite/elinchrom-d-lite-2-it-200ws-neue-version-mit.html

It is that part:
Quote:
Elektronisch stabilisierte Blitzleistung – idente Helligkeit und Farbtemperatur bei jedem Blitz!

Translation:
Electronic stabilised flashpower - equal brightness and color temperature with every flash

Due to the lack of Alien Bees in Europe I just ordered these. I hope I won't regret it, when I read about first field experiences with the Einstein...although importing them is still no option for me...=)

Lates!

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:48 pm

Site Admin

I think you are misinterpreting "Electronic stabilised flashpower - equal brightness and color temperature with every flash". This simply means that the output and color temp are consistent, at a given power setting, from shot to shot, and applies to virtually all studio flash units.

No way D Lite has constant color/fast t.1 via IGBTs . . . it will vary color temp at about 80° per f stop of power change like any other voltage determined studio flash, and will lengthen flash duration as power is reduced - which covers almost all studio flash units on the market. The only exception to this rule I am aware of is the Photogenic Solaire, which does use IGBT control. The Chinese imported Photogenic lights may also use IGBT control, but have really long flash durations.

Here is a good explanation of IGBT technology and effect . . . if you have $10,000 plus to spend.

http://blog.bronimaging.com/2010/01/bro ... trol-ectc/

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:45 am

Thanks for the link and explanation! =)

It's funny to see how the marketing might lead people that only have dangerous half-knowledge in certain points into the wrong direction. :lol:

Oh well, I can definitely live with that since there is no difference to the stuff I'm working with right now...at least until I can get them Einsteins here... :D

Thanks and have a nice one!

Top Top

#

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Any news to report ?

I'd like to pre-order (something, anything) soon, from your Australian distributor.

If the Einsteins are seeing light at the end of the tunnel.......

Well if not, there's always the Elinchrom Quadra (slightly less power) or Ranger (higher cost)...But both are available now ..............

AB.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:10 am

I'm really looking forward to the Einstein and much appreciate the work Paul is doing.
Regarding the Australian distributor, I notice many items are not available on the Oz site which are available on the US site.
Will they be or are these items available for purchase from the Oz distributor?

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:34 am

Redback wrote:
Regarding the Australian distributor, I notice many items are not available on the Oz site which are available on the US site.
Will they be or are these items available for purchase from the Oz distributor?

Well Redback, I made my pre-order with PCB Australia too, from what I know, just put whatever you needed that are not in their site (PCB stuff I mean) in the msg box when you are about to check out, and Colin (PCB Aust) will get back to you about the availabilities and the prices once they have Einstein with them. And you can either accept or cancel the items.

That is what I'm doing too. I pre-order the 8.5" HOR which is not in their site yet.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:54 am

I tried to "pre-order" one, added it to my cart, continued with the process and needed to enter my CC details.

Ummm........

Not too happy about that given that the units are not yet released, and no response from PB to a PM on FM..........

AB.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:17 am

AB, were you ordering something besides Einstein? I was never asked for CC information. It is my understanding that all the preorder does, is list your name in a giant list. When they are available, you'll be sent an email, letting you know, then you have 5 days to place your actual order, putting down in the comment section that your order is a preorder, then they check the list, and will ship accordingly.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:49 am

Alphabug wrote:
I tried to "pre-order" one, added it to my cart, continued with the process and needed to enter my CC details.

AB.

AB, are you sure about needed to enter CC details in PCB Aust? I made my pre-order with PCB Aust and I did not enter any CC details. And Colin, PCB Aust personally email me and said my pre-order was received. To my undestanding, CC was not needed for pre-order. Look carefully in the checkout process, there is a option beside entering CC details to the right which written "Purchase Order" and below that there is a box to enter your comment or in my case I put things I want that are not in the PCB Aust site yet.

And geogecko, maybe ordering with PCB USA are slightly different than ordering with PCB Aust. But nevertheless still a pre-order and PCB honor that. That's the most important thing, isn't it? :)

Hope that'll help.

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ]