Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ] 

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 am

Site Admin

We're working every minute of the day on it trying our very best to make the Jan 30 projected date. Firmware is being refined every day. A few component changes being made.

I've been running it and testing . . . it works very well and is super accurate, stable and fast. We're fighting some lead times on a few components but getting them in line.

Pre orders are now 1600 so it's going to be hard to get one real fast for the first couple of months.

Projecting this stuff is really tough, I assure you. Can't find my magic wand in the midst of all the parts and stuff I have piled up in front of me. Also fighting tooth and nail with PLM vendors to keep them in stock, plus working on EU distribution and several future products/accessories. Can't find top notch tech management so Luap is a busy boy. Keep getting resumes from copy machine repairmen! Any real technical VPs out there?

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:09 am

Speaking of firmware. Is the firmware upgradeable on the Einstein like it is on the CyberCommander?

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:18 am

Site Admin

HappyCamp wrote:
Speaking of firmware. Is the firmware upgradeable on the Einstein like it is on the CyberCommander?

Yes. This allows future functions and modes for the price of a $10 Micro SD card. But it doesn't require SD card in normal operation like CC does.

Another point: Einstein costs more than AB1600, but the price of wireless all digital transceiver is $60 less than the CSR+ required for AB/WL/Zeus and does a lot more. And most users will want the remote capability.

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:54 am

Wow, that is amazing, especially for a product that isn't even out yet! Just wondering, how many Einsteins is the average pre-order for? 2, 3?

On the note of firmware. Do you mean that we will eventually be able to download the firmware file from the site, put it on an SD card, and then put it in the Einstein for flashing? We aren't going to have to buy the firmware on an SD card directly from PCB, right? I'm just asking, because the firmware can change several times through the lifecycle of a product (heck, my TV has had 3 firmware updates since I got it back in December).

Thanks for your great CS. It's not very often you find the owner answering tens of questions on a forum.

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Site Admin

geogecko wrote:
Wow, that is amazing, especially for a product that isn't even out yet! Just wondering, how many Einsteins is the average pre-order for? 2, 3?

On the note of firmware. Do you mean that we will eventually be able to download the firmware file from the site, put it on an SD card, and then put it in the Einstein for flashing? We aren't going to have to buy the firmware on an SD card directly from PCB, right? I'm just asking, because the firmware can change several times through the lifecycle of a product (heck, my TV has had 3 firmware updates since I got it back in December).

Thanks for your great CS. It's not very often you find the owner answering tens of questions on a forum.

Yes, you can just download firmware and paste it into a Micro SD card via card reader on pc or Mac, stick it in Einstein and navigate to update firmware. This will all Einstein to do pretty much any functions we might build into the firmware in the future

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Luap wrote:
Yes, you can just download firmware and paste it into a Micro SD card via card reader on pc or Mac, stick it in Einstein and navigate to update firmware. This will all Einstein to do pretty much any functions we might build into the firmware in the future

So where is the SD slot? I couldn't easily see one in the posted photos.

Thanks

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Luap wrote:
We're working every minute of the day on it trying our very best to make the Jan 30 projected date. Firmware is being refined every day. A few component changes being made.

I've been running it and testing . . . it works very well and is super accurate, stable and fast. We're fighting some lead times on a few components but getting them in line.

Pre orders are now 1600 so it's going to be hard to get one real fast for the first couple of months.

Projecting this stuff is really tough, I assure you. Can't find my magic wand in the midst of all the parts and stuff I have piled up in front of me. Also fighting tooth and nail with PLM vendors to keep them in stock, plus working on EU distribution and several future products/accessories. Can't find top notch tech management so Luap is a busy boy. Keep getting resumes from copy machine repairmen! Any real technical VPs out there?

That is wonderful on the preorders.

Understanding that "stuff" happens (i.e. "...Projecting this stuff is really tough...") do you anticipate being able to fulfill these in a "couple" months?

I have a vested curiosity as I was indecisive and am on the "tail end" of that 1600 :oops:

John

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Site Admin

HappyCamp wrote:
Luap wrote:

So where is the SD slot? I couldn't easily see one in the posted photos.

Thanks

In this accurate rendering it's the tiny on the top, to the right of the slave diffuser.

http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_pa ... 0044-10303

BTW - at 1/4 power Einstein freezes action way sharper than Rob's SB900 tests in this link. A spinning wheel shows virtually no blur - looks like the wheel isn't even turning. I'll post some shots of this when I get a bit of time.

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:54 pm

will the eistien's use a different flash tube and modeling lamp?

Just curious so I can order spares when my name comes up on the pre-order list.

thanks,

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Site Admin

Einstein uses a different tube and modeling lamp. The modeling lamp is a standard 250W bayonet style 120V lamp quartz widely available (Same lamp as Zeus). Most all flashtubes are available only from the particular manufacturer. Einstein tubes will be in a similar price range as AB/WL tubes . . . we don't mark these up much . . . . don't know if we've set the exact price yet.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ]