Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ] 

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks brentj for your helpful observations.
How rugged does the Einstein feel compared to the AB?

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:16 am

Any update on the delivery? Are you up to speed at this point? Can you share approximately how many are shipping per week?
Thanks.

Top Top

#

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:35 am

Paul, can you tell us when will PCB Australia get Einsteins? I read somewhere here that PCB Australia is going to get Einstein 2 weeks after the US release, since it is already 2 weeks from the release. I email Colin about it and was told PCB Australia haven't got their shipment yet from PCB.

I have an overseas shooting sessions in mid May, and it'll be superb if I can get them around early May (to test around) and use them in the shoots.

I also would like to ask about the color and action mode in Einstein, One of the sessions I have is to photographs group of dancers ~ Belly Dancers & Burlesque Dancers to be exact, what mode is the best to use with this scenario? I'd like to capture individual, group and dance motions. I really hope at least I can get my Einstein at that time so I can post/show how great Einstein do with many vivid colors and fast dance movements. Thinking about the possibilities with all the colors, motions and Einstein really excite me... It'll be even more superb if I can get PLM V2 together. ;)

Sorry in advance Paul, I need to know so I can make necessary arrangements if Einstein is not going to be available at that time...

Thank you so much... :)

Kindest Regards,

I. Eden

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:49 pm

Site Admin

You'll have to take up the time issue with customer service - I don't know what position the AU orders are on the list. They are being processed in the order received.

As for the dance shots, nothing wrong with using Action Mode if you're pretty much leaving the power setting the same for a series of shots. But you should shoot in RAW and include a good grey card in the scene for the first shots to get a good color reference.

You can avoid all of this in Color Mode and will always get 5600°K, but the flash durations will be longer - though still much faster than any other monolight.

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:32 am

Luap wrote:
You'll have to take up the time issue with customer service - I don't know what position the AU orders are on the list. They are being processed in the order received.

As for the dance shots, nothing wrong with using Action Mode if you're pretty much leaving the power setting the same for a series of shots. But you should shoot in RAW and include a good grey card in the scene for the first shots to get a good color reference.

You can avoid all of this in Color Mode and will always get 5600°K, but the flash durations will be longer - though still much faster than any other monolight.

Thanks Paul, I'll keep these in mind when I use Einsteins in the sessions... I shot RAW most of the time, using Expo disc as WB, and Macbeth Color Checker for color reference in LR... I think it'll be OK, don't you think?

I have emailed PCB Customer Service ~ Lori about the time, and I'm waiting for her reply. Hope she can get back to me as soon as possible. With the Einstein launched, PLM V2 & your reflectors very soon to release, your CS must be very very busy bees... :D and I understand that... :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the good news that I can use Einsteins in my upcoming photo sessions and can show you the results in terms of colors and motions... :)

Top Top

Website

#

Thu May 06, 2010 9:40 pm

I received my 3 Einsteins yesterday. What a fine piece of equipment ! So versatile. They work exactly as espected. Very precise as far as exposure is concerned. And the Cyber Commander does everything I wished for. The flash meter is very, very precise. I compared to my Sekonic L-358 and they both gave the exact same reading. It is a delight to be able to control everything, I mean everything from the camera position. For the price, nothing comes close. I used many different brands of flashes over the last 25 years and I can say that the Einstein's are head and shoulders above everything I tried. For the price, it is a steal ! I am really impressed.

Top Top

#

Thu May 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Site Admin

Shine wrote:
Luap wrote:

Thanks Paul, I'll keep these in mind when I use Einsteins in the sessions... I shot RAW most of the time, using Expo disc as WB, and Macbeth Color Checker for color reference in LR... I think it'll be OK, don't you think?

I have emailed PCB Customer Service ~ Lori about the time, and I'm waiting for her reply. Hope she can get back to me as soon as possible. With the Einstein launched, PLM V2 & your reflectors very soon to release, your CS must be very very busy bees... :D and I understand that... :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the good news that I can use Einsteins in my upcoming photo sessions and can show you the results in terms of colors and motions... :)

You should have no problems with color balance. The color temperature at any setting is displayed on the back panel LCD. Of course, modifiers and shooting environment ca alter the flashtube color temp with any unit. The max 6300°K Action color is well balanced on the red/green axis and very easy to correct in RAW.

Top Top

#

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Luap

Haven't heard anything lately and was wondering if there is any updated expected shipping date for us Aussies for the V2 Einsteins? Where does the V2 update stand at this point in time? Last official update I heard was for parts to be ready by August 20th and things would move from there. Thanks, waiting patiently like I'm certain many others. :D

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:21 am

Wondering the same thing here. When can we actually see& feel the phenomenal einstein?

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:24 am

I'm seriously reconsidering my Einstein order for a couple (or more) reasons.........

Firstly, I was recently directed to search YouTube for GJPStudios, He had a bucket-load of Einsteins that melted !!

Then there was the availability issue, the V2's don't seem to be in the USA yet, and they're certainly not here, I'd be allowing three to four weeks after US release before we see them here......

Finally, and most surprisingly there's price.

Yeah, Elinchrom has gotta be dearer, heaps dearer, then Paul Buff products, everyone knows that.

Well......Maybe everyone except those who have actually done the sums......

In the Paul Buff corner

Einestein * 2 = $682.99 * 2 = $1,365.98
CSXCV * 2 = $53.90 * 2 = $107.80
Cyber Commander * 1 = $297.00
47in Octabox *1 = $269.97

Total $2,040.75

In the Elinchrom corner

The BXRi 500/500 No Stand Kit contains:

2x Elinchrom BXRi 500 flash heads
2x Elinchrom Portalite 66cm square softboxes
1x Elinchrom Skyport transmitter
2x Power Cables
1x Case for heads and accessories

Total $1895.00
Add 100cm Octa $197.50

Total $2,092.50

While the Elinchrom set is $51.75 dearer, you also get 2 * 66cm softboxes and a carry case.

Given that the Einsteins are 25% dearer here then in US, if we follow the same formula to price their carry bags (not on the AU site) then their $US price of $12.95ea converts to $AU 17.25ea or $34.53 for two.

So for the same-same comparison, Elinchrom are $20 dearer with two 66cm soft-boxes thrown in the deal.

While this is an apples-for-apples comparison in real life it's not quite that simple :roll:

If I brought the Einsteins I'd also get the HOBD, some reflectors (neither the Einsteins or Elinchrom comes with reflectors) and some other goodies.

If I go the Elinchrom route I'd get some different (Elinchrom) goodies so in the end it won't be an apples-for-apples comparison, but you get the general idea !!

I've got two quote-requests for Elinchrom gear out there, the prices above are AU RRP prices, and on principal I never pay RRP :D :D !!

Hopefully the quotes will be back by the weekend and I'll be placing, or not, an Elinchrom order very early next week.

On a only-just-related note, mate of mine had all the smoke escape from his VB II inverter last weekend, but Colin told him that he'll swap it over right away.

AB

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ]