Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ] 

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:49 am

Alphabug wrote:
Then there was the availability issue, the V2's don't seem to be in the USA yet, and they're certainly not here, I'd be allowing three to four weeks after US release before we see them here......
AB

I would hope Australian pre-orders would get a higher level of priority over those who already have a V1 in their posession in the US.

I did the sums also. Add in accessories and PCB is cheaper. I have BD, grids, portable power and a host of other things which if I went Elincrom, the price would be a great deal more. The PCB specs are additionally better so you need to add some $ value for that.

Regarding the youTube vid, I would think Paul is making mighty certain this won't happen again. ;)

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:12 am

Redback wrote:
......I did the sums also. Add in accessories and PCB is cheaper. I have BD, grids, portable power and a host of other things which if I went Elincrom, the price would be a great deal more.......

That's the problem I'm having at the moment, trying to compare apples with apples !!

My gear is currently Bowens-compatible, so which ever way I go I'm up for new modifiers.

Elinchrom ones certainly are more expensive then PCB, but ironically the newer PLM's are available, as a no-cost-option, with Elinchrom mounts. Go figure !!

If you've already got some PBB gear then it certainly does make it way much harder to justify swapping brands !!

I'll have to see what the Elinchrom quotes come in at before I make a final decision ........

Cheers,

AB

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:43 am

Alphabug wrote:
I'm seriously reconsidering my Einstein order for a couple (or more) reasons.........

Firstly, I was recently directed to search YouTube for GJPStudios, He had a bucket-load of Einsteins that melted !!

Then there was the availability issue, the V2's don't seem to be in the USA yet, and they're certainly not here, I'd be allowing three to four weeks after US release before we see them here......

Finally, and most surprisingly there's price.

Yeah, Elinchrom has gotta be dearer, heaps dearer, then Paul Buff products, everyone knows that.

Well......Maybe everyone except those who have actually done the sums......

In the Paul Buff corner

Einestein * 2 = $682.99 * 2 = $1,365.98
CSXCV * 2 = $53.90 * 2 = $107.80
Cyber Commander * 1 = $297.00
47in Octabox *1 = $269.97

Total $2,040.75

In the Elinchrom corner

The BXRi 500/500 No Stand Kit contains:

2x Elinchrom BXRi 500 flash heads
2x Elinchrom Portalite 66cm square softboxes
1x Elinchrom Skyport transmitter
2x Power Cables
1x Case for heads and accessories

Total $1895.00
Add 100cm Octa $197.50

Total $2,092.50

While the Elinchrom set is $51.75 dearer, you also get 2 * 66cm softboxes and a carry case.

Given that the Einsteins are 25% dearer here then in US, if we follow the same formula to price their carry bags (not on the AU site) then their $US price of $12.95ea converts to $AU 17.25ea or $34.53 for two.

So for the same-same comparison, Elinchrom are $20 dearer with two 66cm soft-boxes thrown in the deal.

While this is an apples-for-apples comparison in real life it's not quite that simple :roll:

If I brought the Einsteins I'd also get the HOBD, some reflectors (neither the Einsteins or Elinchrom comes with reflectors) and some other goodies.

If I go the Elinchrom route I'd get some different (Elinchrom) goodies so in the end it won't be an apples-for-apples comparison, but you get the general idea !!

I've got two quote-requests for Elinchrom gear out there, the prices above are AU RRP prices, and on principal I never pay RRP :D :D !!

Hopefully the quotes will be back by the weekend and I'll be placing, or not, an Elinchrom order very early next week.

On a only-just-related note, mate of mine had all the smoke escape from his VB II inverter last weekend, but Colin told him that he'll swap it over right away.

AB

While I don't know you personally, you seem to always bitch about PCB and Einstein products. Just buy the other brands and be happy......problem solved! 8-)

Last edited by fabulas on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:12 am

Site Admin

Alphabug wrote:
Firstly, I was recently directed to search YouTube for GJPStudios, He had a bucket-load of Einsteins that melted !!
AB

All purchasers of Einstein v.1 were made aware of the heat issue as soon as we recognized it and how to avoid such issues. As well, we notified them of a free upgrade to v.2 when it became available. I don't know where in the timeline his melted, however, as discussed here, this is being addressed, we have redesigned the cooling system so this will not be an issue for any future shipments of Einstein.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:17 am

Site Admin

as for timelines, Customer Service always has the best and most up-to-date information on this. I am pretty sure Australian orders will be fairly high on the list, but it is best to check with CS to be certain.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:00 pm

fabulas wrote:
While I don't know you personally, you seem to always bitch about PCB and Enstein products. Just buy the other brands and be happy......problem solved! 8-)

Man am I glad to see that... I nearly wrote the same message last night but then decided to just let it go... yet again. ;)

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Hey hey ......

It's true that I'm not one of the rabid "PCB Fan-bois", but please don't misunderstand me, I'm also not one of the equally rabid "PCB Haters", nor am I an Elichrom Fan-boi !!

I'm just a consumer who considers $AU 2,000+ to be a significant amount of money, it's taken me a long time to save it up, and I want to ensure I spend it wisely.

Had you of been following another Forum you might of considered me equally against Elinichrom as you seem to assume I am against PCB.

I have been doing heaps of research, helped by the Einstein delay, into what is going to be best for me.

I have finally firmly decided against Elinchrom Rangers !!

Does this mean I think they are a bad product ?

No, It just means that they are not the product for me !!

Likewise, I have been deciding on the Einstein Vs Elinchrom BRXi / RX strobes, whichever of the three I decide on does not mean that the other two are rubbish !!

Having the Einstein delay has allowed me the luxury of ample time to research my options, and where better then this Forum to seek information and clarification on PCB products ?

When I read and hear bad reports of PCB products I post questions or comments on this Forum, likewise I post on appropriate Forums my Elinchrom concerns.

Hope this helps explains my thought processes !!

AB.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:59 pm

It does and I do understand where you are coming from - there is a lot angst that goes into dropping that much $ and you want to make sure you spend it as wisely as possible. It just seems like there were a few times that you were threatening to "go to the Eli side" and that seemed misguided for a technical message board.

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:29 pm

PowerEngineer wrote:
.....It just seems like there were a few times that you were threatening to "go to the Eli side" and that seemed misguided for a technical message board.

No worries P.E ...............

I'm sure that some people on other Forums have accused me of "threatening to go PCB" :D !!

FWIW, I decided against the Elichrom Quadras for lack of power, and Elinchrom Rangers for lack of value.....for my requirements.

In my deliberations to get to that stage, I'm sure that I was considered a "PCB Fan-boi" :D :D

On a not-unrelated note, there's not much doubt that the customer service at PCB is second to none !!

I posted about my mate who had the smoke escape from his VB-II inverter last weekend, he has ALREADY received a complete replacement VB-II (new battery, bag and inverter). Gotta be happy with that !!

AB

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:20 pm

Site Admin

We suspect the Einstein U Tube guy may well be a Profoto connected person who purposely destroyed the Einsteins. He, like all Einstein early buyers was notified and warned of the heat issue and chose to ignore it. We have had a very small number of legitimate heat damage problems in existing Einsteins in the field . . . because most paid attention to the warnings and used common sense.

This issue, as well as all other issues, has been completely corrected and we will start building V2 on September 10. From there, we have to figure out the most equitable means to distribute them as rapidly as humanly possible.

As for comparison to BX500, there is simply no basis of real comparison. D Lites are cheaper yet. and Chinese brands and E Bay specials are even cheaper.

Check out this video and follow posts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaQVVVw7 ... re=related

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ]