Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ] 

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Luap wrote:
....This issue, as well as all other issues, has been completely corrected and we will start building V2 on September 10.
:
As for comparison to BX500, there is simply no basis of real comparison. D Lites are cheaper yet. and Chinese brands and E Bay specials are even cheaper.....

Thanks Paul,

Good news, both that the heat issue is solved and that there is a confirmed build date *Thumbs up emoticion*

And you're right about the Elinchrom D-Lites, I crossed those off the list right away, that's why I'm looking at the BXRi and RX600, tending towards Einstein Vs RX600 and not so much towards the BXRi.

AB.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:44 am

Luap wrote:
We suspect the Einstein U Tube guy may well be a Profoto connected person who purposely destroyed the Einsteins. He, like all Einstein early buyers was notified and warned of the heat issue and chose to ignore it. We have had a very small number of legitimate heat damage problems in existing Einsteins in the field . . . because most paid attention to the warnings and used common sense.

This issue, as well as all other issues, has been completely corrected and we will start building V2 on September 10. From there, we have to figure out the most equitable means to distribute them as rapidly as humanly possible.

As for comparison to BX500, there is simply no basis of real comparison. D Lites are cheaper yet. and Chinese brands and E Bay specials are even cheaper.

Check out this video and follow posts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaQVVVw7 ... re=related

I checked out that youtube piece of propaganda and left a comment outlining what i thought the facts to be. When i went back to see if the comment was struck down the video had been removed. My feeling was that someone tried to make those Einsteins fail and capitalized on it. They most likely got the idea from Paul's "sevice bulletin" outlining the overheat potential It wasn't a "boatload" as our friend from down under alludes to, but only 3.

The biggest draw of the AB or Einstein apart from the service is the recycle and flash duration. There's nothing that comes close without spending a boatload of extra cash.

I'm not a fanboy but someone who believes in common sense, honour and integrity. What the competition is doing is dishonorable. Some of these people sold their souls very cheaply.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:59 am

Thanks for the update Paul. Really looking forward to the Einsteins! :D

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:35 am

I can't imagine what that guy had to do to fry an Einstein like that.

In the two months I've used my Einsteins I had one unit shut down one time.

It was a typical afternoon in west Texas. 99 degrees in the shade which is where I, my crew and clients were.

But the Einstein with a 5' Octabox was out in full sun. Between set-up, exposure/color tests and actually shooting the set let's say 75 full power pops with the mod light off. Had finished with the main shot and was setting up for detail shots when the Einstein decided it had had enough.

Just stopped working. No drama, no smoke or flames it just shut down.

Replaced it with another Einstein and went back to shooting.

The shutdown unit spent maybe 15 or 20 minutes turned off in the shade.

I then plugged that unit back in to check it and it was good to go. Spent the rest of the day using it inside in air-conditioned splendor and it has never shutdown since.

I think someone has to really work hard to kill one of these.

The Einstein V2 are going to be indestructible.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:09 am

I'll add my Einstein toughness story... anyone who has been around young kids can commiserate. I shot some portraits of my 1-year old the other day and was packing up. I had the soft box off, stand lowered so the E-640 was about 4 feet off the ground, and most importantly - the VB unbuckled from the stand. I turned around for 2 seconds and my 1-year old managed to knock the stand over! I'm not sure what side the E-640 landed on but I was very lucky. It landed on a carpeted floor and nothing broke. The lamps and dome are all intact and the unit works perfectly. Whew!

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:14 am

Photoflight wrote:
I can't imagine what that guy had to do to fry an Einstein like that.

In the two months I've used my Einsteins I had one unit shut down one time.

It was a typical afternoon in west Texas. 99 degrees in the shade which is where I, my crew and clients were.

But the Einstein with a 5' Octabox was out in full sun. Between set-up, exposure/color tests and actually shooting the set let's say 75 full power pops with the mod light off. Had finished with the main shot and was setting up for detail shots when the Einstein decided it had had enough.

Just stopped working. No drama, no smoke or flames it just shut down.

Replaced it with another Einstein and went back to shooting.

The shutdown unit spent maybe 15 or 20 minutes turned off in the shade.

I then plugged that unit back in to check it and it was good to go. Spent the rest of the day using it inside in air-conditioned splendor and it has never shutdown since.

I think someone has to really work hard to kill one of these.

The Einstein V2 are going to be indestructible.

with enough effort and determination, you can destroy a diamond.....or anything for that matter. :roll:

Top Top

#

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:56 am

Well, my Einsteins seem solid, BUT... the V1 overheating issue from the modeling lights is for real. I forgot about it one day during setup, and after about 15 mins with the modeling light on full, softbox mounted and pointed downward, the E640 started smoking. Seems to have melted some of the plastic around the front, but not enough to deform it.

I turned it off, let it cool, and minutes later it was fully functional and it didn't interrupt the shoot. I'm using minimal modeling lights until V2 comes, though.

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:05 am

bobk wrote:
softbox mounted and pointed downward

Simply out of curiosity, what size softbox did you have mounted? I would personally be taking care with V2 or any other manufacturer light with a 250 watt modelling lamp on full, small box pointed downwards at least till I felt comfortable there were clearly no signs of heat possibility issues.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 am

:mrgreen: ANTISIPATION is where I am at right now,....So anxious to get MY EINSTEINS I am counting the days to come. Best of all their CUSTOMER SERVICE is AWESOME....Thanks to KIMBERLY and LORIE.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Raymond Ponce wrote:
:mrgreen: ANTISIPATION is where I am at right now,....So anxious to get MY EINSTEINS I am counting the days to come. Best of all their CUSTOMER SERVICE is AWESOME....Thanks to KIMBERLY and LORIE.

I agree...I can't wait. I'm not sure how far back in line I am. Any new thoughts on who / when they get distributed?

If they start building September 10th, they could start shipping as early as the following week?

Will replacements be sent to people who waited for V2 and turned down their per-order of V1? Or will V1's be replaced first?

I turned down the V1's because I thought V2 was going to be out release by end of Aug...now I'm feeling the pressure and will rent other lights for all my Fall weddings if they don't show up soon ....

Please keep up updated, Luap.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ]