Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ] 

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:19 pm

Site Admin

DomNY wrote:
Paul,
What does a"decent production run" equate to in numbers? Based on current parts supply etc., what do you anticipate the first production run number to be?
Regards,
Dom

This is a tough call. Based on current pre orders I would like to to an initial run of about 5000. But that is well over a million dollars in cost and I don't want to have to do replacements and recalls that can result from too large a run too early. If I run a couple hundred, 90% of pre orders will be upset that others got an Einstein and they didn't.

We are still doing some firmware and hardware tweaking and hope to have it wrapped up this week. I want these things to work 100% when I ship them.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Luap wrote:
I don't want to have to do replacements and recalls that can result from too large a run too early. If I run a couple hundred, 90% of pre orders will be upset that others got an Einstein and they didn't.

Or call it a beta and get a few out to folks on the pre-order list who have a lot of experience...e.g., Ellis Veneer on FM, and let them beat on it for the next few weeks while you continue getting the vendor problems issues resolved. Ellis has done color temp testing of a crapload of systems and has written reviews for magazines, so I'd trust his testing process and the amount of testing gear he has...I'm sure he'd be happy to sign an NDA too....include Rob Galbraith as well (he'd test w/ a Vagabond)...not sure who uses a CC and Vagabond but find a user who does. I'd offer to test w/ a Radiopopper and Vagabond, but there's no point in that since it can't do remote control of the Einstein..

Last edited by kenyee on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:50 am

probably a pretty good idea to let a few external people take a look at it under NDA.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:21 am

I volunteer to do the cold weather testing on a pair. Still below zero degrees out here in the Snow Land. ;)

Kent in SD

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:59 pm

So being february what is the current status for those of us on the wait list?

Hopefully this isn't going to turn into a 1 year wait list??

Thanks,

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:48 pm

Site Admin

Please see page 4 of this thread.

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:53 pm

page 4 says projected end of jan. and that was a while ago, as we are past the dates mentioned there, I'm looking for an update.

Thanks,

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 pm

khanley wrote:
page 4 says projected end of jan. and that was a while ago, as we are past the dates mentioned there, I'm looking for an update.

Now that's not how I read page 4 :(

Page 4 says 3-5 weeks longer and that was posted a few days ago.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:58 pm

weeks stretching into months is never a good sign.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Blame it on the iPad. Vendors tend to give favor to the big companies that are selling millions of units, and let the little shops deal with huge lead times, believe me, I've seen it first hand. Compete with parts that are used in cell phones, computers, or the automotive industry, and it is not uncommon to see 6-18 month lead times on parts...

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 270 posts ]