Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ] 

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:08 am

I'm wondering if anyone has compared the following two PLM configurations, and/or has any "hard numbers" for relative comparison:

Silver PLM + white diffuser front
vs.
White PLM + black outer cover + white diffuser front

I would expect, all other things being equal, the first configuration would result in "more" effective output, but the question would be -- "how much" more?

Similarly, are the resultant output patterns (falloff, etc.) very different?

Thanks for any input!

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:17 pm

To elaborate a little --

I like the idea of flexibility of the white PLM for shoot-through or bounce setups, but I wonder how much power I'm sacrificing (for bounce setup) vs. using a silver PLM?

So, I guess a related question might be -- For those who use a white PLM, how often to you use them in shoot-through setup vs. bounce?

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:35 pm

Site Admin

There is about 2 1/2 f stops output difference and the two types are completely different. White really acts no differently than any other white umbrella - except for the advantages of 16 ribs and huge size.

Silver acts a lot like a gigantic gridded giant reflector and produces a unique hi-pop lighting effect with enormous output and soft shadows. Unbeatable for overpowering the sun without having to stick the light in the model's face and for distinctive fashion shots. f22+ at 10' ISO100 with B800 (320WS).

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 am

So basically the only reason to use the white PLM is because of the available light covers. You mention the 16 ribs and I can't see that being a plus with a shoot thru setup. One would think that the less ribs the better in that situation.. Does the shape add anything to a shoot through scenario

I'm ready to buy some lights but have been hung up on light modifier choice. I'll be doing groups as well as single portraits indoors and out.

I'll admit that the silver PLM's being unavailable has put a crimp in my plans and I was exploring alternatives using the white in a reflective and shoot through capacity. This is basically cuz i'm an old fart that has to have his technical goodies and like most males of all ages grossly impatient.

Nayrb Hgielseab

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Site Admin

The 16 ribs give a near circular catch light, rather than octagonal or hexagonal.

TS

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:53 am

Just as a point of reference, for anyone else who is hashing out this decision, the following is the best review of the PLM system I've found online so far, and has specific sections discussing the silver vs. white PLMs.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10046-10396

(Note the review is split into two pages).

After all this research I've done over the past week though, I have to admit I'm still on the fence, and I may just order both to try them myself. ;)

I do have to say, I'm shying further and further away from buying another softbox. Am I crazy to consider I may replace my softboxes with the PLMs? Has anyone "converted" to using PLMs from softboxes, or do you find you still have uses for both modifiers?

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Site Admin

PLM Version two is coming within six weeks or so. Quite advanced over current version, including much improved performance as a softbox and much more focusability, plus other yet-to-be-disclosed features. We have had all sorts of vendor problems with current version and just can't get our orders filled.

So I completely designed PLM V2 from the ground up and we are using a much more advanced and trusted supplier who is not a part of the China "umbrella jungle".

No, you are not crazy to consider alternatives to conventional softboxes at all. One of the very best alternatives for small softboxes right now is the 22" High Output beauty dish with sock. It beats a conventional small box in every regard and the round shape produces great catchlights.

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Does that mean that Back Ordered PLM's will be version II?

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:27 am

Site Admin

vazendak wrote:
Does that mean that Back Ordered PLM's will be version II?

Tough question. We have a few hundred coming in by air perhaps next week but probably have orders for all of them. The vendor (who also makes several brands of Chinese lights) has been so flakey we don't now exactly when the other several hundred we have on order are going to be delivered.

It's quite possible we may have Version 2 before we get all our orders of Version 1.

The customer service people don't even know I have put Version 2 sneak info on here yet - they are at the imaging convention in Nashville this weekend, I'll make sure they are aware.

I suggest if you have a strong preference you call Lori (marketing VP on Tuesday).

I'm working hard to get away from the Chinese competitors that make many of our fabric goods and going with a tried and true vendor who makes our molds and many metal parts and has no conflict in the photo industry. The photo umbrella industry is almost a cartel. Three or four vendors are responsible for probably 80% of what B&H sells under various brands.

Shouldn't be this open about this sort of stuff but I like our customers to get straight info on what we're doing - the good, bad and the ugly. I don't worry that some customers may hold off some orders as a result . . . we have so many orders that is not a concern.

You always, of course, have the 60 day absolute satisfaction and my staff very well knows and respects that customers must be happy with what they get from us, and they all agree with the policies whole heartedly.

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:29 am

Paul, thanks for being so frank with us. I appreciate it and also the efforts on the Einstein's. One question; would you be able to put the PLM version II's on preorder soon so we can add it to our Einstein orders when they are ready to ship? I just want the 10% discount since I'm getting two Einsteins :D With so much new things coming out, can I ask if there is anything new coming out in terms of remote triggering because I was ready to buy a CC and a bunch of CSRB's for my speedlights.

Thanks for everything and can't wait until my Einstein order is filled,
Manny

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ]