Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to sync a Canon Powershot SX10 camera with an AB800 flash unit. I am using a hotshoe adapter but the flash is not firing when I trigger the camera. I have the camera set on manual mode also. Any suggestions on what I need to do?

Jenn

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 pm

Site Admin

Assuming the light is plugged in and turned on...

First, make sure the camera is in M mode, and the flash mode is on (a lightning bolt symbol). If the tightening wheel is very tight, loosen it, as a too tight accessory can raise the center contact and not make a connection.

If that does not help, try these steps:
-Will the light fire from the test button?
-Unplug the cord from the light, and plug it back in does the light fire in either or both actions?
-If you remove the sync cord from the adapter, jump the round shield and the center pin with something metal (ball point pen, straighted paperclip, etc.) does the flash fire?
-plug the cord back into the adapter and try the test button, does the flash fire?

Working backward like this will tell us where the failure is.

TS

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:51 pm

I tried each recommendation you listed. I did have the adapter on a little snug, so I loosened it. The connection is VERY sensitive. It took some time to get the exact position of the adapter correct. It would either be too loose or too tight. I had to adjust it many times to get it just right...then the flash started firing. Is this typical for the adapter to be that sensitive?

Thanks so much for your help!

jrene

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Site Admin

That is not overly typical, however, i have seen the need to loosen with Canon cameras and not any others. Make sure the contact on the bottom of the adapter is protruding about 1.5 to 2mm, and is springy.

TS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]