Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:03 pm

I was trying to use my camera (D80) in commander mode to set off my speedlight (SB800), and that in turn would set off my bee. Not only is that not working, but my bee won't test fire either. The bee will light up in modeling mode though. Any info is appreciated. TY!

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Site Admin

Is this a new unit or have you had it a while, or did you get it used? By "test fire", I assume you mean pressing the red test button on the back of the light. There should be a circular bulb around the model lamp, which is the flash tube. Assuming one is installed, press in over each leg to ensure it is seated properly (with the power off). Once you have checked that, turn the unit on and see if the red dump light comes on and stays on, or if the green light is lit. Let us know what you find!

Incidentally, using any light in commander mode (not to be confused with our CyberCommander) will emit a preflash and trigger the studio flash prematurely, and is not recommended.
TS

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:35 pm

This is a unit I just recieved. I checked the circular bulb and it is seated properly. When I turn on the AB800, the green light is lit but when I press the red test button, it does not flash. Does that mean the AB is broken? And thanks for the info on the commander mode. I had thought I'd be able to use the speedlight for fill but is that not possible then since I won't be able to trigger the speedlight in commander mode? thanks for all of your help:)

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:00 pm

it is a new unit I received ;)

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 am

Site Admin

It sounds like a bad flash tube, likely damaged in transit. If you have another AB flash, you can swap tubes to be sure. Either way, give customer service a shout so they take care of any replacement needs. 1-800-443-5542 or info@paulcbuff.com

TS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]