Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 am

Site Admin

I just completed some tests of Cyber Commander, using Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA cells ($9.95 per four pack). By setting the LCD Brightness to 20% (Advanced Configuration Menu>CyberCommander Setup) I achieved 16 hours of continuous LCD on-time. 20% brightness seems fine for indoor use.

The same test with standard Alkaline AAAs yielded 8 hours. At 50-70% brightness the life is typically 3-4 hours with Alkaline.

If you CC doesn't have Advanced Configuration Menu check with Tech Help for firmware upgrade.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:10 pm

This new PCB tech forum is just what the doctor ordered :D Thanks PCB. Now down to business. I assume that the default setting on the CC's LCD screen is 50% so being able to lower that will be a great help on the ol batteries. My concern is one of outdoor use in 40 degree temps and moderate humidity as with melting snow all around. For example, last weekend I was outside doing a family gathering shoot of their nicely lit house with two WLs facing the front porch. It took 2 1/2 hours all together to finish up by that time CCs batteries were flashing LOW POWER. So I put new ones in and CC never powered up after that. Well I put CC away and did my adjustments manualy for the rest of the evening's indoor potraits and all went well. Went home, got up the next morn and tried the new batteries again and CC finally powered up.
Do you think that CC's circuit's are too sensitve for such climate? It remains a mystery to me why no power one day but up and running the next. Thanks, RMS

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:42 am

Site Admin

I think under these conditions using Lithium batteries will solve these problems and give you much longer life - particularly if you drop the brightness to the 20% range. Alkalines don't perform that well in extreme cold.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]