Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:28 am

Hello all! New guy here for the first time. I bought the ringflash last year and just love the versatility of it. Sweet!But...

The height adjustment has a plastic concentric shaft with a c-clip on the end as a retainer. The concentric shaft is what locks the flash's height on the bracket, preferably centered over the lens. The shaft is broken, so I have no way to use it on-camera anymore, as theres no way to lock it to the bracket. Anyone else experience this problem? Do you think I can buy a replacement for this, or is there a upgrade made out of metal for it? I love this flash, and I want to use it again for its shadowless design.Any help would be appreciate it. I could probably muster something up for it and make it work, but would prefer to use factory parts on it.I dont see any exploded view drawings in the manual, for parts identification.Can anyone help?? :geek:
Thanks in advance,
Richard

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:09 am

I didn't see the locking cam in the parts "hot list", but you might try the parts order line at 1-800-443-5542. I'd bet that they have what you need. The cam only needs a gentle touch to achieve serious locking power, but if you cracked one, you might buy another spare to keep on hand for the future.

Good Luck!

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:42 am

Thanks V13b. I sent a email to service with my original questions and will see.I willcallif I dont get a response. The more I look at the piece thats left, I could find a bolt the correct size and grind off a side of iits shaft,use the un-grinded side as the lock, and use a wingnut ontop of a washer to lock it in its locked position. Only down side is it would put a groove/dent in the flash's slide bar.Plastic on plastic wont do that. Like I said previously,, I didnt use any excessive force.It just fell apart. I am surprised no one else has had this happen. Or maybe mine was a factory defect that somehow got past QC.

Thanks for your help.We'll see what tech support offers.
Richard

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:04 am

Sometimes things simply break. Mine has never failed over a couple years of use and abuse, but yours might well have had a fracture since the moment it was formed, and it was only a matter of time before it snapped. Who knows at this point? The good news is that you are right about crafting your own part from a bolt if push comes to shove, as you understand how it works. I'm still betting that a part like that is pretty cheap, and on hand at PCB. Please let us know how it works out.

Voyager

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:17 am

Site Admin

The whole bracket will be replaced, but if it is a year or so old, it is still under warranty, so there shoud be not troubles there.

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks for the replys. I received an email from Susan stating the upgraded all-metal replacement part for the ABR bracket is on the way! What wonderful customer service. Looks like the D2X will be back in the ring,after all! Yayy PCB!

:mrgreen:

Richard

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]