Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 8 posts ] 

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Is there any difference to the sync cords (mono-plug looking end) between those used in WL vs other strobes (example calumet/bowens).

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:58 pm

Site Admin

The 15' sync cord that we ship with the lights and offer as replacements have 1/4" stereo plugs. They are wired tip positive and ring ground, leaving the sleeve (the part closest to the cord) open. This is to prevent issues when using problematic AC outlets. It is best to use ¼” stereo plug and wire it tip = pos and ring = neg. The sleeve connection on either mono or stereo could be touching neutral / ground on WL. Using the tip and ring of stereo plug will isolate from case ground. This can affect the unit if the ac source is incorrectly wired. However, a standard 1/4" sync cord will likely work in the WL's, while our cords may or may not work in another brand head.

TS

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Thanks - have been struggling to figure out why I am having weird sync problems and this is my best hope *all I have is the mono type 1/4 plug*

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:31 pm

Site Admin

what kind of sync issues are you having?

TS

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:44 pm

ok - same problem using stereo -wasn't the plug fault.

To summarize. I have two used WL U1200 - new to me, look virtually unused, but serial numbers 0140 & 0141 might mean they are ?old. Lights fire consistently via optical built-in slave, and consistently via the 'test' button. The output is also consistent. Problem: Intermittent sync troubles when using a sync cord. I have other (non-WL) units that work fine using my pc cords, remotes, etc so didn't start with the obvious test of plugging in a 1/4 inch plug with wires exposed and simply touching the wires together - the results being that the units fail to fire about 4 times out of ten (no pattern).

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:44 pm

A silly idea, but I have gotten into the habit of keeping 1/4 inch "clamp on" ferrite chokes in both my camera bag and my sound gig bag. If something weird starts happening with my cameras (flashes refuse to fire or fire spontaneously, HDMI monitors go dead, remote shutter cable starts firing at random) I wrap the cord twice through the choke and clamp it on.

Mics or speakers start to hum or whine, same thing, first try a choke...

They're Godsends, I get them from Digikey by the dozen.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Site Admin

With the light on, plug in and unplug the sync cord. Does the flash consistently fire with each action (both in and out)? If not, it is likely a bad sync jack. Also, check the flash tubes. Older styles will have what appears to be a metal strip painted on the inside diameter. If that is flaking off, then misfires can happen. newer tubes have a wire wrapped around them. Occasionally, excess wire can collect and come close to the front plate or reflector, causing intermittent firing. However, the most likely cause is a sync system problem, which will need to come in.

TS

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:56 pm

Looks like newer tubes; does not flash when plugging in cord. Looks like I get to ship them. Thanks for help!

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 8 posts ]