Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ] 

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:11 am

my battery is so hot and is not in perfect geometric shape its has some deformation at the bottom. why..? is this normal for the first time or not .? could exploit.?

Top Top

#

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Site Admin

Which model vagabond do you have?

Top Top

#

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:04 pm

vagabond II serial number 014048

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:20 am

Site Admin

kags wrote:
is this normal for the first time or not .?

This VII is from October of 2009 or so. Is this the first time it has been used? In any case, it sounds as though the battery has sulfated, likely from a lack of charge particularly if it is the first time used or if purchased second hand. Alternatively, if it has had hard use since it was purchased, it could be the battery is near the end of its life cycle. The inverter should be fine, and only the battery would need replacing.

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:44 am

yes is the first time in almost one year after purchase. but still can i use.?
i had to unpplugged cause i;m afraid maybe explode. is any risk using the battery in that state or i have to change immediately or could damage the inverter

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Site Admin

You will not want to use that battery. If pushed hard enough the case could crack and leak. Additionally, you will probably not have enough power stored in the battery to be particularly useful. The battery is a sealed lead acid battery that does require a full charge to be maintained. Even if fully charged before storage, like all batteries, it will self discharge over time and need to be topped off periodically (1-2 times per month). Otherwise, it will sulfate, and that portion of the batteries capacity can no longer be used. If used then stored without charging, the sulfation process will happen much quicker.

It would be best to replace the battery.

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:48 pm

then i was unable to buy from alienbees because my limitations outside of the us,
can i buy this battery instead?

terminal NB, Volts 12, AH 22,

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:58 pm

need a battery replacement for my vagabond

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Site Admin

The most important part is the voltage, which is 12V. The Ah can vary. The higher the rating, the longer you can shoot on one charge. Shape is only a concern if you want to use the original bag. The NB terminals are fine, and did ship in some older VII's, others had female threaded connections. Either are fine, though you may need new nuts and or bolts.

The specs you listed will operate the inverter fine, however a shape was not specified, so I cannot say if it will fit in the bag. The battery we use is often used in motorcycles and powered golf caddies.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ]