Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Recently purchased the Vagabond ll and bought an extra battery to use if I deplete one battery. I want to keep both batteries charged and ready. Can I use a standard fully automatic 12/6V, 6/2 Amp battery charger on these type batteries? What about a "float" charger which is used to keep a fully charged 12V battery from losing it's charge?

RB

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Site Admin

You can use a standard 12V charger, not exceeding 5 amps. Additionally, you are able to use a float charger to keep it topped off.

TS

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:23 am

Along similar lines I'm looking to swap out the battery for a smaller one for weight purposes. I remember seeing someone online did this. Any recommendations for this?

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:52 pm

bump

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 pm

mofofoto wrote:
Along similar lines I'm looking to swap out the battery for a smaller one for weight purposes. I remember seeing someone online did this. Any recommendations for this?

In response to a similar question about upgrading a Vagabond II battery on the first page of the forum, Paul mentioned the rock bottom minimum being 8ah, and Tech support liked a minimum of an 11ah battery even better. When you cross the threshold of what a device requires in terms of current flow, and what a battery can comfortably deliver, the internal resistance of the battery becomes a major factor, and you lose. Reliability, expected capacity based upon amp hour specs, and expected life of the battery all go straight out the window. Sometimes in grand fashion. When you charge a lead acid battery, chemical changes take place. When you discharge a lead acid battery, chemical changes take place. If you charge too fast, or discharge too fast, chemical complications set in, and they will rain on your parade at the worst possible time. Don't cheat on minimum battery size. Don't cheat on solid, stout battery connections, and heavy wire gauge for hookup either.

Voyager

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]