Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ] 

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:06 pm

p-crossbow wrote:
@Voyager: Thanks for the detailed response. I agree 100% that separately, both the main post and the camera platform, are built tough, my only issue is with the cam locks, atleast on my unit. I too was thinking of doing what you suggested - drilling a hole, but on looking at the bottom of the three lobed mounting post, the largest lobe almost seems like it would take a metal post of reasonable size. Its not a 1/4-20" (that'd be too easy :) ), but I wonder if I could attach a spare light stand adaptor (the little guy that sits on the light stand at the bottom of the strobe) to it somehow. This way the strobe seems far more mechanically stable (minimal torque generated). I'm pretty sure that little guy could be ordered as a replacement part for the WL/AB series.

I looked at that hole, and no doubt, it's stout. The main reason I didn't pursue that angle was that I wanted to maintain full functionality of the camera mount (which I use often), and everything about the camera mount base (other than the vertical cam lock) is rock solid, even the arrangement for attaching it to a light stand, and adjusting it's angle once attached is solid, smooth, and just plain useful.

The other reason (very important), is that using that hole for support by itself would not be nearly as strong as using the camera mount base, which conforms to all three lobes, is very strong in it's own right, and transfers the load seen by the ABR800 body (and any light modifiers attached to it) to the light stand through the entire cross section of the fixed post, rather than focus it all on the relatively thin walls of a 7/16" hole at it's far end. Polycarbonate is awesome stuff, but you have to design to it's strengths, rather than test it's mettle.

For example, the cam lock we are all worrying about is really an elegant design solution to the need for vertical adjustment of the camera bed. The size and shape of the fixed post, and matching camera mount are massive in terms of expected loads, and their shape was probably picked to offer maximum surface area contact between the two parts. The simple cam lever really doesn't bear any direct load from the ABR800 and whatever light modifier happens to be mounted on it. It only adds enough pressure between the fixed post, and the camera mount to cause friction between the two to bear the load. It's beautiful.

It just has no backup if the cam is bumped or vibrated out of play. Drilling a small hole for a pin took two minutes, including finding a bit, and the failsafe device was on duty. Besides, I'm lazy, and I'd rather repair a fine wheel than invent one all over again :). Let me know what you decide to do, and how it works out.

Voyager

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ]