Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:35 pm

I think I have this sorted out, but two W.L. Ultra's began firing constantly outdoors in the sunlight when plugged into the Vagabond Mini. I gave up on the W.L. Ultra's and resorted to the camera's speedlight and got through the job (even the Nikon CLS failed to connect up (IR connection maybe?) so I had to use the on-camera only speedlight which sort of sucked.). Later, back at the hotel when I plugged the Ultra's in they worked normally.

I had hoped to use the CyberCommander, but the transmitter's LCD display was too dim to see in the sun, so I had hoped the slave on the Ultra unit would work but it didn't. I didn't get to find out if plugging in the CyberCommander Remotes would disable the Ultra slave triggering?

How do you control multiple lights outdoors in sunlight? PC cords are sort of rare on newer cameras. There has to be an easier way.

Mack

Top Top

#

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Plugging a cord into the jack on the back of your flash automatically disables the slave cell. I read the manual on your product, it said it can take up to 20 seconds for it to deactivate.

When I shoot in full sun I always use radio triggers. It's hard to get the slave cell to see another flash in bright sun, so I always go with a radio trigger.

I'd maybe put some velcro on the perimeter of your cyber commander and make a hood out of plastic or cardboard, or something.

Top Top

#

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Site Admin

First, yes, you can deactivate the slave eye by inserting something into the sync jack. You can run CSR+/CC as a basic radio remote if you wish. Ensure frequencies match and use the standard snc cord and not the telephone cord. Additionally, you can increase teh screen brightness of the CC by going to SETUP> ADVANCED CONFIGURATION>CYBER COMMANDER SETUP. Pressing up on the left joystick will increase screen brightness. 80% or more should be sufficiently bright in direct sun. This will use more power when the screen is on, so be sure to set it back when you are done.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:00 pm

So the correct way is to do both in the sunlight:

1. Make certain something is plugged into the 1/4" phone jack on the back as it disables the slave (i.e. Just a regular 1/4" phone plug not wired up from Radio Shack?).

and

2. Use the CyberCommander remote in the phone jack too?

I don't know anything of the PocketWizards or where they plug into the Ultras (1/4" jack or the phone jack?) as I may move to them for outdoors since the CyberCommander transmitter's LCD was too weak to see in the sun even cranked up plus the glare.

Tia.

Mack

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:30 pm

Site Admin

Mack wrote:
So the correct way is to do both in the sunlight:

1. Make certain something is plugged into the 1/4" phone jack on the back as it disables the slave (i.e. Just a regular 1/4" phone plug not wired up from Radio Shack?).

Yes. Or you can use the 1/4" cord that came with the recievers.

Mack wrote:
and

2. Use the CyberCommander remote in the phone jack too?

If you want remote output control, yes.

Mack wrote:
I don't know anything of the PocketWizards or where they plug into the Ultras (1/4" jack or the phone jack?) as I may move to them for outdoors since the CyberCommander transmitter's LCD was too weak to see in the sun even cranked up plus the glare.

Tia.

Mack

If you are looking to just fire them, again, the Cyber Commander will act as a basic transmitter, without the need to see the screen. All you will need to do is ensure all remotes match in frequency before the shoot, and connect the recievers using the 1/4" plug and not the telephone cord. Back panel adjustments can be made on the light in that case. Or you can get a $60 CST to use as the basic transmitter and forego the Cyber Commander. No need to invest into a second triggering system when what you have will achieve the same thing.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]