Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 26 posts ] 

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Sorry for the delay. Here's a photo. The only drawback is that the eye bolt rotates when I tighten down the clamp. It means that positioning the light and tightening it is a three-handed operation. Or tighten until friction provides some resistance, then move and tighten further. As you can see, I used a lock washer to adjust the length of the eye bolt.

I'd like to be able an eye bolt that matches the slots in the plastic. Perhaps our favorite flash vendor could find something similar that works even better.

Top Top

#

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Not sure why the photo doesn't display. here's a flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45489297@N00/10783012646/

Top Top

#

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:33 pm

Thought I'd check back in. My eye bolt safety anchor has worked well, even thoug it doesn't look elegant. But, so far, I haven't dropped a light on anyone's head.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:43 am

Dismayed wrote:
Thought I'd check back in. My eye bolt safety anchor has worked well, even thoug it doesn't look elegant. But, so far, I haven't dropped a light on anyone's head.

There was an approach suggested in the first page of this discussion that I have been using for several years with success and without any incidents, and I drop-pin my Einsteins on a very regular basis with a 60" Octa + a Bowens Quickring (which all together is a fairly heavy mod)

Although I don't have the safety cable attached here, you can still see the idea. The addition of this small part has not affected any operation or functionality of the handle.

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Site Admin

A couple of things,

First why the additional white panel on the back, and I assume the enclosure for the CSXCV is to keep it from falling?

Second, are those split rings run of the mill key rings, or are they intended to be load bearing?

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Technical Support wrote:
A couple of things,

First why the additional white panel on the back, and I assume the enclosure for the CSXCV is to keep it from falling?

Second, are those split rings run of the mill key rings, or are they intended to be load bearing?

The white panel on back: they velcro onto the back with some padding, and protect the displays and buttons from bumps and knocks. They also hide the temptation for electronic-addicted kids in case they think they can get on the internet via the back panel :-) Almost all of my shoots are on location, so my beloved 640's get moved around a lot. Since I'm a CC user, I rarely have need to look at the back panels.

The acrylic enclosure is a little bit past the "experimental" stage, and allows me to just leave the CSXCV's in my 3 Einsteins as they travel around in my bags with me. They offer some protection against bumps and knocks, but they are more about saving every set up minute possible when on location.

Neither of these looked super polished, but the functionality is worth it to me.

The key rings are load bearing, but they are not your typical ones. I can't remember where I got those - they are extremely strong - and there are two on each of my 3 Einsteins. I've tested them with 50 pound loads, and there has not been any bending.

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 26 posts ]