Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 26 posts ] 

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:35 pm

kenyee wrote:
Why not just run some 20# fishing line through the umbrella rod holder?
Get some Ande Backcountry or Big Game mono and breaking point is closer to 30#...

You weren't listening ;) I said up front that I do not want to use the umbrella tube. Why, you ask? Because it is very often occupied with a deflector shaft. I use deflectors with softboxes/octaboxes as well as with conventional hard reflectors.

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:36 pm

kenyee wrote:
Why not just run some 20# fishing line through the umbrella rod holder?
Get some Ande Backcountry or Big Game mono and breaking point is closer to 30#...

One reason to get a system that doesn't depend on the umbrella rod holder is that you can then still use the umbrella rod holder for its intended purpose.

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:35 pm

tetrode wrote:
I use deflectors with softboxes/octaboxes as well as with conventional hard reflectors

Ahh, yes I missed that :)
In that case, it's still fishing line...just put some good knots around the lightstand mount or loop it through vent holes and you're still good to go...it'll still easily hold an Einstein head if it gets loose...

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:45 pm

njdrew1 wrote:
UPDATE 7/17/11 -- Someone asked me to test the strength of my version of the Einstein safety cable rig using a 20# weight. I tested it with both a 16# weight and 32# weight. While all of the components (locking link, steel safety cable and wire tie) stood up to the free-hanging weight, the lip that locks the wire tire to itself failed in the drop test for both weights.

I'm looking to address the issue of attaching safety cables to Einsteins as well. I searched but couldn't seem to locate details on your system. Any chance you could elaborate on how it works?

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:44 pm

I was looking at the light and noticed what might be a great spot to connect a safety cable. How about on the mounting shaft, between the bottom of the flash and the tightening knob. There is a space in the shaft where a cable (or something) could be attached and it couldn't slip off. I was thinking about using something like a wire cable and one of those crimps for it. Make it a figure-8 with one loop snug around the mounting post and the other loop free for a snap clip to a cord or something.
Anyone have ideas for what to put around the mounting shaft? Maybe a piece of 8ga solid wire? Steel cable and clamp? ??

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:17 pm

I went to my local True Value Hardware store today and bought an eye bolt to replace the swivel bolt on the bottom of the flash. I'll post photos this weekend.

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Dismayed wrote:
I went to my local True Value Hardware store today and bought an eye bolt to replace the swivel bolt on the bottom of the flash. I'll post photos this weekend.

I'm anxious to see the photo. I really would like to find a good way to connect a safety cable.

Top Top

#

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Dismayed,
As well I am eager as well to see the photo.

DJP, respectfully I doubt you are anxious, anxious is from anxiety, concerned, uneasy, apprehensive, fearful, and other words of that ilk.

Cordially,

RicD

Top Top

#

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:30 pm

RicD wrote:

DJP, respectfully I doubt you are anxious, anxious is from anxiety, concerned, uneasy, apprehensive, fearful, and other words of that ilk.
RicD

Indeed, I stand corrected. However, getting back to the original subject matter it would be great if Dismayed or anyone else with a good solution on how to use a safety cable with an Einstein could post a picture. I think there are probably many Einstein users that could benefit from a good solution.

Top Top

#

Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:05 pm

DJP wrote:
RicD wrote:

RicD

Indeed, I stand corrected. However, getting back to the original subject matter it would be great if Dismayed or anyone else with a good solution on how to use a safety cable with an Einstein could post a picture. I think there are probably many Einstein users that could benefit from a good solution.

Hi DJP,
Yes, I very much agree with you, it is something needed. This could benefit Alienbees lights as well.

Here is a possible solution: a pipe the size of the light stand holder on the bottom of the light with a hole drilled and tapped with threads the same as on the Einstein or AB. Place the pipe in the stand mount, screw in the holding screw into the pipe as well. At the other end of the pipe have a hole drilled then connect a carabiner to which is attached a loop cable. Maybe that would do the trick; just a thought.

Cordially,

RicD

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 26 posts ]