Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 26 posts ] 

Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 pm

I was wondering if TS (or anyone, for that matter) could suggest a good method for attaching a safety cable to an Einstein. I would prefer not to have to use the umbrella tube.

I thought I might replace the small washer just under the lightstand mount ratchet handle with something like this:

This would provide a place to clip on one end of a safety cable. Is there a reason not to adopt this approach? I'm primarily concerned about those times when the Einstein is suspended inverted. In that orientation, having the cable attached to the bottom of the light (i.e., the stand mount) seems like a good idea.

Thoughts?

Dave F.

PS: Happy Fourth of July everyone (especially you, Paul)

Top Top

#

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Site Admin

Looks fine to me. The only thing I can think of that would cause problems is amy compression the black washers offer. I am not able to confirm this until Tuesday. Also, whatever youuse should offer the same friction as the black washers.

Top Top

#

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Actually that is a pretty clever idea. Since the einstein doesn't have a handle to attach a safety string on, that could work. Or you could always tie a string around the tightening handle which should provide some level of security. I'm not sure i would use the safety cable though.

Top Top

#

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:15 pm

why not place that attaching washer between the big washer and the ratchet nut
you could always use an over sized washer like a big fender washer bend one edge so that you could drill a hole through it to attached the safety cable

Top Top

#

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:07 pm

tetrode wrote:
I was wondering if TS (or anyone, for that matter) could suggest a good method for attaching a safety cable to an Einstein. I would prefer not to have to use the umbrella tube.

I thought I might replace the small washer just under the lightstand mount ratchet handle with something like this:

This would provide a place to clip on one end of a safety cable. Is there a reason not to adopt this approach? I'm primarily concerned about those times when the Einstein is suspended inverted. In that orientation, having the cable attached to the bottom of the light (i.e., the stand mount) seems like a good idea.

Thoughts?

Dave F.

PS: Happy Fourth of July everyone (especially you, Paul)

How would you run the cord through?

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:19 am

Just an idea: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/9400015
I tried these and they fit on the ratchet handle or the stand knob. Try your local shop first as that guy needs your support.

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:45 am

10box wrote:
Just an idea: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/9400015
I tried these and they fit on the ratchet handle or the stand knob. Try your local shop first as that guy needs your support.

Thanks much for the suggestion. That part is very, very close to what I had in mind. Too bad dimensions aren't published. It's hard to judge the size of the holes from the site photo. Apparently, I'll have to locate a motorcycle shop. That will be on the agenda for tomorrow.

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:10 am

Approx. size: L= 1 3/4, W= 7/8, sm. hole= 3/8, lg. hole= 5/8

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:47 am

UPDATE 7/17/11 -- Someone asked me to test the strength of my version of the Einstein safety cable rig using a 20# weight. I tested it with both a 16# weight and 32# weight. While all of the components (locking link, steel safety cable and wire tie) stood up to the free-hanging weight, the lip that locks the wire tire to itself failed in the drop test for both weights.

Last edited by njdrew1 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Why not just run some 20# fishing line through the umbrella rod holder?
Get some Ande Backcountry or Big Game mono and breaking point is closer to 30#...

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 26 posts ]