Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 28 posts ] 

Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:54 pm

Do the Einsteins require a pure sine wave power inverter or will they work with the garden variety "modified sine wave" models?

Thanks
Roy

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Site Admin

They require a pure sine wave inverter.

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:45 pm

Thank you.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:24 am

Site Admin

I don't know of any flash that can reliably operate on a non pure sine inverter. We tried to accomplish this in the now-history AB Max design and it brought up so many new problems we gave it up.

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:49 pm

Luap wrote:
I don't know of any flash that can reliably operate on a non pure sine inverter. We tried to accomplish this in the now-history AB Max design and it brought up so many new problems we gave it up.

Just an FYI, speedotron brownlines will work off a stepped sine wave inverter. They're old tech though ;)

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Site Admin

This is probably correct. I believe Brownline uses and actual magnetic transformer (non voltage regulated) While virtually every modern studio flash I am aware of uses capacitor multiplier circuits. The multiplier circuits don't play well with the square waves produced by non sine wave inverters.

I laugh when armchair engineers on many forums say "AB is cheap because they don't use transformers". As I said, to my knowledge no modern flash, regardless of price, uses power transformers. The weight and heat production make old style power transformers impractical.

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:24 am

I don't want to make a new thread, sorry for not being able to understand, but why shouldn't it work with modified sine inverters? I am trying to build my own powerpacks (I live in Europe, and it's too late to order Vagabond, since you don't ship anymore), so I just asked about the inverters in some electrician forum, they said that it should work fine.

what would happen if i try to connect it? Would I blow my AB unit, or the inverter? what is the problem with the modified sine inverters?

thanks.

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Site Admin

shOo wrote:
I don't want to make a new thread, sorry for not being able to understand, but why shouldn't it work with modified sine inverters? I am trying to build my own powerpacks (I live in Europe, and it's too late to order Vagabond, since you don't ship anymore), so I just asked about the inverters in some electrician forum, they said that it should work fine.

what would happen if i try to connect it? Would I blow my AB unit, or the inverter? what is the problem with the modified sine inverters?

thanks.

Electricians don't always understand electronics - particularly capacitive voltage multipliers used in almost all studio flash units. They require a sine wave inverter.

The ramifications of using non sine inverters can range from simple failure to work to possible damage to your light.

Pure sine inverters are available in Europe from various sources and we are working to get distribution in Europe. We still ship to existing customers. I believe our Australian partner will sell to you, but shipping on a heavy Vagabond, plus your VAT and duties make it difficult. You can also use Tronix Explorer (innovatronix) - Google it.

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:13 am

thanks! I guess I'll have to save up and buy pure sine inverters, too bad I've already ordered 3 cheaper inverters... ahhh, i fall again for the "buy nice or buy twice"..

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:00 pm

kenyee wrote:
Luap wrote:

Just an FYI, speedotron brownlines will work off a stepped sine wave inverter. They're old tech though ;)

Yes, and unlike Luap's optoisolators, you get a large capacitance and relatively high voltage on the on the trigger, guaranteed to fry any modern camera unless you use a wireless trigger than can deal with the "old school."

I think the old Novatrons from the 70's were that way also, as I recall.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 28 posts ]