Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:42 pm

I am new to strobed basketball and strobes. I have just purchased two AB800's. I have one CST and one CSRB+. I will purchase additional equipment as suggested. I am planning on putting an AB800 at the left and right side baseline of the court, at about 15 feet high (clamped to a rail on the 2nd level). My thought is to bounce both of them off the ceiling so that they hit approximately the top of the key. I will use one receiver on one of the AB800's, and assume that the other one will be triggered automatically (if not, I'll get a second CSRB+).

Is this the most effective way to light the gym? I'd rather not do direct flash, as I'm worried about this bothering the players. Is there a guideline for flash output and camera settings?

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm

Site Admin

You will want another reciever, as the light may or may not see the first light. Additionally, other flashes (from the bleachers, etc.) could set of your strobes. Many users do bounce, but be careful of ceiling height, color, ect. Keep in mind bouncing, and the extra travel of the light, will limit how much light is reaching your subject. This will result in wider apertures and/or higher ISO's, but it will still be better than no flash.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:32 pm

So do most photogs do this with direct flash? Both strobes to the top of the key? I'm just worried about it bothering the players, or does it not bother them with the lights higher?

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Site Admin

There is not a hands down definative way, many users do both, and will usually depend on height of the ceiling, access, equipment at hand, and preferences of coaches. Lights up high are typically not a bother, and the steeper the angle down, the less of a bother it should be.

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:36 pm

I have been recently shooting basketball using Strobes. I was always afraid that it would bother the players as well. However i have done several games and it does not seem to have bothered the players.

as tech support mentioned it depends on ceiling height, the middle school gym where i have been shooting is fairly low, so i am able to set the 800's at full power and bounce them off the ceiling. I am only using one in this gym(prob could use 2). i will be shooting in a gym tomorrow that is alot taller and prob wont be able to Bounce. I plan on doing what you are doing place them on 2nd level point them towards the top of the Key!

I guess i have to run out and get another wizzard, that was my question in another post!

thanks,

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:25 am

I hear people say "I don't want to distract the players" all the time, in regard to flash lighting during sporting events. Of all the indoor basketball and wrestling I've shot in many different high schools, not once have I ever heard a complaint. That is either because of my light placement, or perhaps it really isn't as much of a distraction as people make it out to be. I think the latter.

As for your question, you don't mention where you will be shooting from within the gym. From the bleachers with a 70-200, from underneath the backboard, from a corner of the court, from an upper level behind the backboard? Are you shooting one end of the court or covering the whole court from the bleachers? How many places can you shoot from and where do you need you light to come from? What about light spilling into the lens as you shoot that corner shot? What is the ambient light in the gym normally? There are many factors that impact what your lighting needs will be.

I often shoot a combination of flashes depending on my needs. Sometimes it's 1 AB800 bounced on the ceiling, then I might supplement that with a remote Vivitar flash to fill in from a different angle to remove shadows, and sometimes, as you say, using two AB800 and just light the room up. Whatever it takes to get it done, but in the end, less is better.

Top Top

#

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:49 pm

I shoot a lot of high school and college basketball, both men's & women's. I never bounce light off the ceiling due to the extra power required to get the same output as direct flash. The trick is to have as short a flash duration as possible. In local high school gyms, I use a pair of Nikon SB-800's at half power, manual mode, 50mm zoom. That gives me roughly 1/250th sec @ f/4 to f/5.6 using ISO 400 to ISO 800. (Some gyms are darker than others, but this is my range locally).

I set the flashes as high as I can, usually climbing to the top of the bleachers and using a 15' light stand attached to something - bring bungee cords, duct tape, clamps, etc - get creative. They are about 4-5 feet behind the baseline, aimed near the top of the key. Of course this will vary depending on the distance from the court.

For my local college, I have 4 White-Lightning X800's in the ceiling set at the corners of the court, facing the top of the key. Each side of the court is set on a different frequency so 2 photographers can shoot together at opposite ends. All are at 1/2 power and are NCAA regulation for output power, location and flash duration. (Full power is a bit distracting to the players for volleyball, but 1/2 power never received a complaint).

Mike

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]