Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 18 posts ] 

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:02 am

I got my CyberCommander for Christmas, and I was so freaking happy! The wife did good. :)

I have a couple of questions.

1) The mount to my 5D Mark II seems rather loose. Unlike my standard transmitter, it doesn't really fit all that snugly. With my standard transmitter when it's in there - it's in there. The CyberCommander hasn't fallen out, but it wouldn't take much to knock it out. It quite wobbly in there. I'm worried I'll be on a shoot and knock it out inadvertently. Is mine defective or is it normal for it to be rather lose?

2) I've noticed several failed pops which shooting. I've never had a failed pop with my old transmitter, but in a set of say 30 shots I'll get about 2 failures to pop my flashes. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? I'm shooting in a studio and am never far from the lights.

Thanks for any info!

Tim

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:24 am

Site Admin

The CyberCommander will fit a little looser Than the CST but should be snug. Double check the contact on the bottom, to ensure it is springy (though we have not seen an issue with this). If not, that would affect both triggering and fit. Also, if the CC is in the folded over position, range is affected, but should be fine for studio work. A few things to check: 1- Change frequency and see if the issue persists. 2- use alkaline or lithium batteries, not rechargeables. 3- be sure all buttons on your lights are pushed in (if you have a 1/4 switch, that can be in either position).

Ultimately, though, our prefered method is to keep the CST in the hotshoe and use the CC in hand/pocket for adjustment.

TS

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Great, thanks for the prompt response. I'll check those things out and I'll probably go with the CST for triggering and the CC in pocket for adjustment as you suggested.

A neck lanyard would be handy. :)

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:43 pm

After seeing it posted several times, I think I'm going that route too. The CST isn't that badly priced, and has a one year battery, so might as well go with that, especially if it is more reliable at triggering the flashes. I think it would get old removing, and reinstalling the CC every time you wanted to take a meter reading...

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Site Admin

I highly recommend using CST along with CC. For almost any CC user it's well worth the extra $59.95.

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:50 pm

Yeah, things are weird. It stopped trigger the flashes for about 5 shots tonight, then after I set my camera down to rearrange the set it fired the lights several times and I wasn't anywhere near the camera.

Is this something that happens when all of them or is mine just not working properly? I know I said I was going to use the CST but I wanted to play with the CC some more to see if I could get it working properly based on the suggestions above. Changing the frequency didn't help.

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:30 am

tharmsen wrote:
Yeah, things are weird. It stopped trigger the flashes for about 5 shots tonight, then after I set my camera down to rearrange the set it fired the lights several times and I wasn't anywhere near the camera.

Is this something that happens when all of them or is mine just not working properly? I know I said I was going to use the CST but I wanted to play with the CC some more to see if I could get it working properly based on the suggestions above. Changing the frequency didn't help.

I think many of us are having the same problem which is why the company is sugesting that we not use the CC for triggering the lights. I also have a 40% failure rate with the CC and less than 1% failure rate with the CST. It is very sad that the CC can't trigger the lights properly and I hope the next model fixes this issue as the CC is a very nice product (well, would be if it would actually fire the lights consistently).

-D

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:33 am

tharmsen wrote:
Great, thanks for the prompt response. I'll check those things out and I'll probably go with the CST for triggering and the CC in pocket for adjustment as you suggested.

A neck lanyard would be handy. :)

I presume there is no lanyard since the CC is supposed to be on the camera and the misfiring was not expected. Using the CST is just a workaround/band-aid in my opinion.

-D

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:57 am

Site Admin

The reccomendation for the CST and CC combo has been around long before the CC was available. The reasoning is to keep from having to remove an replace the CC everytime a meter reading or adjustment is made. Triggering and broadcast reliability should be the same between the two, if not, please contact us. The range for the CC is up to 150' and the CST is up to 350'-400', due to additional electronic components of the CC. Either way, the range is well within the portrait photographers operating footprint.

TS

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:50 pm

In my initial testing last night, using just the ABR, I also had several misfires from the CC. I ordered a CST today since ultimately, I agree with PCB/TS it will be give me a lot more flexibility by not having the CC on the shoe.

It does not change the fact there seems to be some issue related to the CC and firing. I was only 5ft from the light.

Russell

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 18 posts ]