Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Ok, I've used the CC for a few shoots now, and overall it is everything I'd hoped it would be.

And now the "big but" -- I've almost given up actually using it in my studio.

I'm sure some of these questions have been asked before, but I'm new to the forum and would love to hear the most current info on these issues.

Firmware
I don't see anywhere on the web site where I can check the current firmware release version, or anywhere in the CC interface to see the installed release. I think mine was one of the first few batches, so is there any news on that front I should be aware of?

"Disabled" channels.
Sometimes a channel on the CC will go change to grey and I can't figure out how the hell I disabled it or how to get it back. I usually end up switching to another channel on the CSR+ and setting up the light again. Instructions tell me the color means the channel is disabled, but there are no instructions for how to disable/enable channels.

Test and real firing misses
When using the CC, I can press a dozen times on the "test" button (left) and not get it to work. Then it will again. Then it won't. Completely random AFAICT. Same goes with using the CC during the actual shoot. Missed shots are very common and tend to come in bursts.

I don't shoot fast, maybe 1 shot every 5-10 seconds if I'm moving quick.

Rapid false firing
When I power the first light and connect the telephone cable, all is usually ok. But when I power up another light and connect the CSR+ cable, or fiddle with the CC, lights will start running like machine guns.

I've actually had a light or two overheat from this while I was diving around the room trying to power them down, so it's sort of a big deal, and is the main reason I have been reluctant to try the CC/CSR+ combo again.

I can't exactly tell what the pattern is, but in my pea-brain programmer mind, it seems it might be a side-effect of the CSR+/AB cable and/or CC/CSR+ radio communication. Either way, IIRC, this only happens when using telephone cables, not the regular sync cables, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having the CC.

Things I've tried re: the missed/rapid firing

• New telephone patch cables. My CSR+'s didn't come with telephone cables, which wasn't a problem until I got my CC. I went to Radio Shack and got the shortest length I could find there (6ft) that wouldn't have the CSR+ hanging by the cable and putting stress on the port. I bought the "modular 4-pin RJ-11/RJ-14" cable, catalog #279-339. Are these cables suitable? I've also tried other cables I had around the house and haven't noticed a difference.
  • Wiring. I have 80-year-old wiring, #14 copper (not copper-clad). There is no equipment grounding conductor, but there is a solid grounded neutral. Measured line voltage at the outlets is a steady 121/122V. Other than the obvious equipment ground safety issue (which is not lost on me), should I be able to successfully use 2-4 AB800 lights with the CSR+ receivers on a single 15A circuit without issue?
  • Vagabond. Tried it. My older one, and a friend's newer one. Thought it might help if the firing issues were power-related. Didn't help.
  • Wifi. I thought the laptop in the next room that my wife uses might be causing RF interference, but she shut down the computer and it didn't seem to help.
  • Channel/frequency. I think I've tried them all. I'm in a quiet residential neighborhood with no obvious major sources of RF interference. (No cell tower in the backyard, for instance, wifi in the house works ok, and I'm usually no more than 10 feet from my lights.) And, again, none of this happened prior to using the CC, which suggests the issue is with the CC, or something to do with the use of telephone cables from the CSR+'s.
  • Using a CST to fire and keeping the CC off-camera. This one I haven't tried yet, but it's next on my list. I have a shoot tomorrow, hoping it will help with the missed shots, but doesn't resolve the other issues.
  • Power light on, then connect telephone cable. When I do this, it is the connecting of the telephone cable that sends the lights haywire. Usually *other* lights, not the one I connected, or maybe all of them, can't remember (haven't tried since early November).

I'm hoping there are some answers out there for these issue, or some best-practices I'm failing on.

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Site Admin

I'm sending all of this to the development partner. We are aware of some of these issue, but not all. The firmware update takes care of a lot of issues, but Microchip (PIC) tells our development partner they have some bugs is their code for reliable firmware via their own firmware.

We should have firmware update available soon. Remember, CC is like an iPhone in complexity and bugs have to be addressed and swatted down and updated a few at a time.

Check with tech help - they may have some answers for you right now.

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:19 am

Site Admin

"Disabled" channels.
Sometimes a channel on the CC will go change to grey and I can't figure out how the hell I disabled it or how to get it back. I usually end up switching to another channel on the CSR+ and setting up the light again. Instructions tell me the color means the channel is disabled, but there are no instructions for how to disable/enable channels.

with the information available, i do not know why it is automatically switching to standby, but to turn it back on go to "Setup">"Light Settings"> "Power"> "On". Be sure the channel in the botom left is set to teh appropriate channel, and you do not inadvertently switch channels making adjustments (so check before and after the setting is made). Also, be sure you are going into the "open from memory" and "open from studio", rather than just assigning channels.

Rapid false firing
When I power the first light and connect the telephone cable, all is usually ok. But when I power up another light and connect the CSR+ cable, or fiddle with the CC, lights will start running like machine guns.

I've actually had a light or two overheat from this while I was diving around the room trying to power them down, so it's sort of a big deal, and is the main reason I have been reluctant to try the CC/CSR+ combo again.

I can't exactly tell what the pattern is, but in my pea-brain programmer mind, it seems it might be a side-effect of the CSR+/AB cable and/or CC/CSR+ radio communication. Either way, IIRC, this only happens when using telephone cables, not the regular sync cables, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having the CC.

You mention having a CST. If it is remotely close (pardon the pun), be sure its batteries are good. Low batteries can cause a rapid fire condition of the lights. Pulling the battery from the CST while rapid firing will also assist in this diagnosis. Also, be sure none of the receivers are in repeater mode.

Also some assundry tidbits: be sure your slave eyes are locked out (insert a plug into the sync jack). All model lamp buttons should be pushed in. The power slider should be at full. If you are using a power strip, try straight into the wall. Try an outlet that is newer and not a Vagabond, if possible. I assume the RJ11 cords are 4 or 6 wire? Does the issue continue if you remove the SD card?

TS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]