Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ] 

Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:21 pm

I am looking to set up remote triggering - two cameras running off one shutter press

i want to have a wide angle lens set up while i have the other body with a long lens.

hopefully someone can tell me if i can do this with the cybersync stuff, the main functionality question is will it autofocus?

and what bits i need

I have 2 Canon 1D MKIII

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Site Admin

You can do this, however there are a few things to note:

1: your remote camera will need to be in AF-C or manual focus. There is no means to initiate focus via the CyberSync system. AF-C will constantly focus, manual focus is set. However, if it is placed, say in a soccer goal or similar, you can set a hyperfocal focus setting, and lock it in place with gaffers tape.

2: because the CST (or any other remote) will not get the signal to fire until the shutter on the "master" camera is already open, there will be a minor delay in triggering the second camera in the neighborhood of 1/60 delay.

3: if you wish to add lights to the mix, that opens a new can of worms that should be addressed seperately.

You will need a prerelease cable, and i recommend the Flash Zebra ones (http://www.flashzebra.com/shutter_pw/index.shtml), as Pocket Wizards have different versions and the wrong one can dysfunction the set up (plus they are 1/3 the price and work very well). I also reccomend CSRB over the CSR,CSR+, or CSRB+ to trigger the camera.

TS

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:41 pm

I have done this type of thing for basketball. I have a camera under the basket against the back wall facing up to include the basket and court. It is connected to a CSRB to trigger it. I also have it setting off 2 Nikon flash units, both off camera. My sync speed is 1/250th @ f/4.5 using ISO 800. Works perfectly with FlashZebra cables.

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

so i would need

1 x CST
1 x CSRB
1 x Zebra Cable

cheers

chris

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Technical Support wrote:
I also reccomend CSRB over the CSR,CSR+, or CSRB+ to trigger the camera.

TS

I am curious....why CSRB over CSRB+?

John

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Site Admin

Chris,
Yes, that is what you need

John,
The CSRB+ will work in many instances, however, i have seen it less than reliable on some cameras, Pentax in particular, and i think a few cases with Nikon. Can't say for certain on Canon and Olympus. My Sony works fine with either.

If you have a CSRB+ and and you want to try, and it works, no need to switch.

TS

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:46 pm

whats the difference between the CSRB and the +

they look good and would be interested but just realised that you don't ship to the UK :(

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:02 pm

+ adds:

Channel selection (the non + only has frequency selection)
Power selection, with compatible PCB lights (through phone jack cord)
Groups (for use with Cyber Commander), to adjust multiple lights, or fire multiple lights)

I think that is about it, I think.

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:27 am

I use Nikon D80 and D300. CyberSync triggers both. Must buy a cable from either PW or FlashZebra though, to go between CSRB and camera. Several things I'll mention. I can only get off about one shot per second and motor drive does not work (FlashZebra cable.) I can take a shot from one camera and have it trigger the second, and the second camera triggers flash. However there is a lag. Shutter speed on first camera is set to 1/100 sec. or slower, or it will miss the flash. Sync on second camera handles 1/250 of course.

Kent in SD

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Site Admin

To add to Kent, Different models will react differently depending on the hardware and software of the cameras.

Kent, do you see a difference in lag if you swap which camera acts as a master?

TS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ]