Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm

I have been trying on and off for two days now to set up my new Cyber Commander to operate my B800's via CSR+, and I can't seem to get things working. I'm hoping that I am simply overlooking something obvious.

I have followed the setup procedure exactly probably a dozen times, but I get the exact same result each time. When I set everything up, I can dial the power levels up and down via the Cyber Commander, and I can see the modeling lamps respond to my adjustments, but I can't actually trigger the flash. Depressing the left joys stick does nothing, nor does setting the Cyber Commander up on my camera hotshoe and firing off a frame. Nothing. I can't even fire the flash using the test button on the back of the B800 when the RJ11 is plugged in (is that normal?).

Now if I remove the RJ11 cable and use the Sync plug to the CSR+ instead, then I can trigger just fine, but then I have no other control of the flash unit, reducing the Cyber Commander to a simple trigger.

I have gone through setup time and time again... I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any ideas? Thanks for any input on the matter.

Bob

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:49 pm

Site Admin

First, make sure the recievers are on a common frequency and independent channels. Also, try different channels, or move and reseat the channel and frequency. If the dial is off, it can adjust and not fire, or fire and not adjust. Be sure you are opening from studio, and not just assigning settings to channels. Move the selector to "All" and fire the lights, then back; does that make a difference? Check under Setup>Light Settings>Power and make sure the light is set to "on". Switching it off then on may also help. Please let us know if this helps!

TS

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:32 pm

nope. Went through everything just as you said, but no difference. Should the Test button and the power slider on the back of the B800 work when an RJ11 cable is plugged in? Because plugging in that cable disables both on mine. Is that normal?

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:34 pm

also, the setup says to plug in a dummy plug into the sync jack. I don't have a dummy plug, so I am plugging in a sync cable, and just not attaching the other end. Is that okay?

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:54 am

Site Admin

The test button (on the light) should fire even with the RJ11 jack installed.

Are you getting no response or a little flick of light? if a little flick, with the light on, unplug and reinstall the RJ11. Also, check that the light is set to on and not standby in the CC menu

Is the red "dump" light on on the back panel of the light? if so, see above

If you press the test button on the reciever does the light fire? If so, you are getting a good signal from the reciever to the light. If not, there could be a cord or jack issue.

If you press the test or meter button on the CC does the LED on the reciever blink red? If so, the CC is sending a fire signal.

At the bottom of the corresponding channel graph on the CC, you should have a white bar. If it is gray, the light is likely set to standby, if it is gone, it is not registered.

I assume you are using the included cables? If not, are they 4 wire cables? Are you plugged into the wall directly, or a surge protector or powerstrip? Plug them directly into the wall if they are not, and see if the problem goes away. Also, try an outlet on a different circuit. Also, older electrical systems often have bad wiring, in particular bad grounds. This can cause issues as well.

Please let us know what you find!

TS

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Technical Support wrote:
The test button (on the light) should fire even with the RJ11 jack installed.

Are you getting no response or a little flick of light? if a little flick, with the light on, unplug and reinstall the RJ11. Also, check that the light is set to on and not standby in the CC menu.

No response all.

Quote:

Is the red "dump" light on on the back panel of the light? if so, see above

red dump lightcomes on intermittently

Quote:
If you press the test button on the reciever does the light fire? If so, you are getting a good signal from the reciever to the light. If not, there could be a cord or jack issue.

Nope. Doesn't fire when I hit the test button on the reciever either.

Quote:
If you press the test or meter button on the CC does the LED on the reciever blink red? If so, the CC is sending a fire signal.

Yes..so I guess it is getting signal

Quote:
At the bottom of the corresponding channel graph on the CC, you should have a white bar. If it is gray, the light is likely set to standby, if it is gone, it is not registered.

Yes, I see a white bar.

Quote:
I assume you are using the included cables? If not, are they 4 wire cables? Are you plugged into the wall directly, or a surge protector or powerstrip? Plug them directly into the wall if they are not, and see if the problem goes away. Also, try an outlet on a different circuit. Also, older electrical systems often have bad wiring, in particular bad grounds. This can cause issues as well.

I am using the included cables. I didn't mention that each time I hook everything up, once I plug in the RJ11, the strobe begins to rapidly and repeatedly fire. I have to mess around, turn it off, then on, unplugging/replugging RJ11, etc until it eventually stops. This is while using CSR+, so there is no low battery. This is using multiple CSR+ reveivers, multiple flash heads, etc... and the problem exists across the board. Maybe it is bad wiring in this old building? I will try taking it elsewhere to see if there is any difference.

Thank you for your assistance so far. Very much appreciated. I will keep testing and get back to you ASAP.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]