Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm trying to get my B1600 to sync in slave mode with my Nikon sb-600 in commander mode. (wireless). The SB-600 fires fine, but the B1600 fires out of sync. The result is light from the SB600 but no flash captured from the B1600.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:45 pm

Site Admin

All digital flashes, when set to any TTL mode, will fire a monitor preflash just before the exposure. The Bee will fire in response to a flash, and does not know whether the flash is a preflash, exposure flash, random flash, it just knows it is a flash. When the Bee flashes from the preflash, it is still recycling when the exposure is made, and will not fire again (at very low power, it may). It is not necessary for the speedlite to be in "commander" mode to fire the Bee. Ideally, the speedlite should be in "M" mode for use as a master flash.

The Nikon CLS (optical wireless) system is used for flashes to communicate with the camera and/or each other for auto exposure. This is a proprietary system, and is not compatabile with any studio flashes, or with flashes designed for other brands.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks TS. I guess I'll need to buy some wireless remotes to use the sb-600 off camera with the B1600.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:26 pm

mwc388 wrote:
Thanks TS. I guess I'll need to buy some wireless remotes to use the sb-600 off camera with the B1600.

Only if you are using Pro bodies ie: D2h,hs,x,xs or D3,s,x. If I remember correctly all other bodies have built in flash with "commander mode".

So as TS correctly states you turn off modeling light-pre flash in camera, set your 600's to M and your good to go. Only issue is you will have to make your adjustment manually (you will get some exercise going back and forth to the speedlite)

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]